12 speed reverse problem?

MACKS

Tranny works perfect all summer as soon as the temps drop it's a pita to get it to go into reverse,sometimes I have to put in forth neutral for bit before it will shift,air pressure is set at 60 psi at the selector,correct lube in tranny,any ideas?

20 hours ago, MACKS said:

Tranny works perfect all summer as soon as the temps drop it's a pita to get it to go into reverse,sometimes I have to put in forth neutral for bit before it will shift,air pressure is set at 60 psi at the selector,correct lube in tranny,any ideas?

I would be checking the  air pressure at the  shift lid forward hose on the small cyl should be around 70 psi ! you could also as stated remove the end of the rev cyl and check for oil build up! also due to its age consider removing the shift lid and re oring the whole unit ! Not really that hard to do in a CL !

Edited by fjh

6 minutes ago, fjh said:

I would be checking the  air pressure at the  shift lid forward hose on the small cyl should be around 70 psi ! you could also as stated remove the end of the rev cyl and check for oil build up!

Thanks if I remove the rear cover on the cyl can I slide the cylinder out to clean it up,I'm thinking no,I gotta look in the book..

16 minutes ago, MACKS said:

Thanks if I remove the rear cover on the cyl can I slide the cylinder out to clean it up,I'm thinking no,I gotta look in the book..

No the lid would have to come off to do it correctly! If you remove just the small rear cap it would be just a look see thing!to clean out any oil  ect! you can try it!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

I've had three of my trucks do that. Usually have to select reverse in neutral, then pull shifter into gear. Sometimes have to do the same to shift from reverse back to forward too. Problems were always pronounced  when cold. As stated remove top cover and install all new O rings and I'd wager your problems will go away. 

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.