R model door repair

Hetrick97

Question

6 answers to this question

It's been a couple of years since I have had a R model door apart 

But I  do recall, or at least I  seem to recall that the door latch (the bit that holds the door shut) has to have its screws undone and it comes out with the door 

I also seem to recall that the clip that holds the lock barrel in has to be unclipped so the barrel comes out to allow that door latch to slide out of the door jam part of the door 

I do stand to be corrected on this as my mind isnt as good at rememberibg things as it once was 

The whole shooting match comes out fairly easy with the door still on the truck 

I have never tried it with the door off the truck so I cant comment on which way is easier 

Paul

As Paul almost correctly said, you need first the door latch (lock) unscrewed from the sheet metal and key cylinder removed by pulling off a clip aside to it. After that as said in the previous answer remove all the machine screws around the square panel, turn loose two screws near inside door opening handle (but keep them in place) and pull all the assembly out together with the window and door lock.

I have it done both on a truck and on a door removed and found no difference. The door is much less of weight when empty if you're going to install it on a truck but absolutely no reason to remove a complete door in a reason to just take it apart or change window/lock/regulator.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

you will find life  a lot easier when you go to put the tumble back in door if the key is installed in tumbler.  working the tumbler shaft and placing the lock in at the same time is a challenge. pair of needle nose or flat nose pliers work best for pushing flat locking clip. leave door handle and window crank on assembly door handle works great for leverage handle.  assembly drops down in door to clear window , use inside door handle to push assembly up in place catch top two screws .