Alaska DOT's Granite Snowplow

kscarbel2

Jim Parks, Today's Trucking  /  September 16, 2019

What kind of a truck does it take to keep Alaska’s Thompson Pass clear of snow in winter? Battling average snowfall of 500 inches per year, this Mack Granite snowplow has earned the respect of the DOT crews that patrol the snow capital of North America. Equipment Editor Jim Park accompanied a film crew to Valdez Alaska.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, james j neiweem said:

Interesting Allison over M-Drive. Nice looking paint scheme.

Not really James,  Allison is a far superior vocational trans! For the most part! If You have to Have An Auto  and manual is not your thing then The I shift / M drive has its place I suppose???  but in the dump / mixer / anything work site related the ally is the trans for the job in my mind ! From my experience the Allison has stood the test of time! the  Ishift in this instance not so much! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fjh said:

Not really James,  Allison is a far superior vocational trans! For the most part! If You have to Have An Auto  and manual is not your thing then The I shift / M drive has its place I suppose???  but in the dump / mixer / anything work site related the ally is the trans for the job in my mind ! From my experience the Allison has stood the test of time! the  Ishift in this instance not so much! 

Scania offers and recommends Allison in severe vocational.

43 minutes ago, FarNorth said:

Thankyou for posting this article. Good information.

I was able to look at one of these trucks when new, very nice truck.

These units replaced similar, [ think they where 2006?], Macks also with Allison .

You're welcome. We aim to please.

Thank you for supporting BigMackTrucks.