EUP replacement on a 2000 E7 460

Vision 618

Question

13 answers to this question

Go to your local Mack dealer and buy book # 5-106. It's the E-tech Engine Service Manual. While you are there buy book # 8-211, it's the v-mac III service manual. Contains every code and the diagnostics to find the fault. Those motors contain a blink code system to read active fault codes. Between those books you should have everything you need to tackle just about any issue you have with the engine.

Great life out of your existing eups! Pictures please!

EUPs tend to fail from either broken springs or an alignment dowel breaks, allowing the EUP roller to rotate, eating the lobe off the camshaft. Replacing the alignment dowels is a good idea. 

I've never had to touch an EUP though, so I'm just reciting what I've read here.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vision 618 said:

Ok. Thank you.  I found online where you can download the manuals for free.  I just needed the 5-106. Mutch appreciated!

The guys here are a huge resource, but for doing detail work you have to have the book. You need to know torque settings and step by step procedures. 

• Thanks 1

Always make sure your heat shields are in place to protect the EUPs . On some chassis’s the exhaust pipe is really close to #5 and #6 EUP. Even with the heat shields in place the those back two EUP’s take beating from the heat off the pipe. We see the back two fail more than the front 4 .   Remember that there are 3 different part numbers for EUP’s . All three look exactly the same . Also the middle o-ring is no longer used and on some the later castings the O-ring groove was totally elimated .  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully the eup's I ordered from thedieselstore.com are the right ones. As long as they send me what I ordered they should be.  My local Mack dealer showed me a Mack website where you can download the manuals for free.  Pretty handy! Thanks for all your help!!

• Like 1

So,  I changed 2 and 6. No problems! Yesterday,  an 8-6 code started intermittently popping up.  Before it was an 8-2, that's why I changed number 2 to see if that code would go away.  Figured if it didn't, I had a wiring issue.  I never got a 8-6 but I changed it because there was fuel leaking around that one.  No change in engine performance when the code pops up.  20 year old wiring harness perhaps?

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:43 PM, Vision 618 said:

So,  I changed 2 and 6. No problems! Yesterday,  an 8-6 code started intermittently popping up.  Before it was an 8-2, that's why I changed number 2 to see if that code would go away.  Figured if it didn't, I had a wiring issue.  I never got a 8-6 but I changed it because there was fuel leaking around that one.  No change in engine performance when the code pops up.  20 year old wiring harness perhaps?

So the 8-6 continues to pop even after changing the EUP?

How much are you paying for your EUP's?

Edited by Mack Technician

On 8/22/2019 at 9:32 AM, Mack Technician said:

So the 8-6 continues to pop even after changing the EUP?

How much are you paying for your EUP's?

Yep.  Thedieselstore.com  for $265. I still get the 8-6 code from time to time with no difference in how the engine is running. My mack dealer told me it wasn't necessary to put the calibration codes into the computer unless I have an issue.  I'm going to wait until I do the other 4 pumps and then have them put the codes in anyways.  I am getting an ignition knock(not all of the time) at an idle.