Mack 12 speed

Jocko

31 minutes ago, david wild said:

Like I said they are great for dump trucks and lowbeds, that is what they were most likely intended for, no trans. was built for super heavy weights or severe abuse, some of the special autos are but normally not found in over the road trucks, the Fuller is easier to shift and when you are in the middle of a shit storm the last thing you really are thinking of is the next gear being perfect because if is not then your Mack trans will have you at a stand still, no big deal with a dump but different story with a big load on. like I said before our feelings toward the Mack trans is only based on what we deal with, we don't run dump trucks we run multi axle, dual lane and either super wide and high or we are running home empty, I don't think they were ever intended for what we do, neither was the Fuller but they seem to hold up better and are kinder to drive.  (if Mack trans is so great how come the 8LL is the most popular trans in the coal feilds)

Cheaper!

I can't stand my 8LL. It was abused before we got it. Sometimes when you come out of gear and you're in the neutral zone it's still in gear for another second or two. Sometimes it hangs up coming out of gear. Hasn't blown itself up yet though! Couldn't stand the 8LL in my cousins intertrashional dump years ago either. Had a U shift pattern instead of H, and it took a good bit of effort to get out of gear. And second to third was a bear with the U pattern. Drove a Pete with an 8LL and a 500hp cat, that shifted very nicely. And I owned a 400hp Mack tractor with a 10spd Eaton that shifted nicely, except it would grind the lo/hi range transition between 5th and 6th once in a while. 

49 minutes ago, david wild said:

NO it is because the high side of the trans would fail on a coal haul, I think some of you must be Jonestown koolaid drinkers.

must be like Rob, loosing my marbles!!    terry:MackLogo::MackLogo:

I got to take my winter season boss's son out in their manual trans oil delivery truck because he needed seat time and a fresh copilot to learn a few things from for his CDL skills test. Synchronized transmissions are junk, but at least he will be legal to drive manual transmissions!

Wife just gave birth to my son a couple hours ago, I'll be sure to keep one of our 2 sticks in roadworthy condition for 18 years from now!

• Like 1