'63 B81SX

Many thanks for the advice.  I'll practice.  The key point I got from your comments was a) shift the compound up and down w/o clutch as you upshift/downshift but b) use the clutch when you have to shift the main. 

I'm very much enjoying driving that truck, and have huge respect for those guys who did it day in and day out.  But those days are done for.  I live on a farm, and there's a young man who comes around and helps us out now and then.  He wants to be a truck driver, and is preparing to go off to CDL school.  However, when I offer to show him how to drive my various rigs, he won't do it, because they aren't automatic, some don't have power steering, and none are air conditioned.  It's a new world out there.

• Like 2

You can shift the main without the clutch, but sometimes it takes longer to learn the finesse to get the load off the gears to allow it to change.  Flat land it should be easy.  Hills, not so much.

Here is a video I made about 15 yrs ago, long before Youtube.  It got passed around the internet and a couple people posted it to Youtube when that came on the scene.  There are many more similar videos>  This is when it still have the 673 in it and I was just bobtailing it around.  with 4.62 gears, I would start in 3rd LO.

I'm getting soft.  I have A/C and power steering now, along with the 237.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

4 hours ago, Freightrain said:

You can shift the main without the clutch, but sometimes it takes longer to learn the finesse to get the load off the gears to allow it to change.  Flat land it should be easy.  Hills, not so much.

Here is a video I made about 15 yrs ago, long before Youtube.  It got passed around the internet and a couple people posted it to Youtube when that came on the scene.  There are many more similar videos>  This is when it still have the 673 in it and I was just bobtailing it around.  with 4.62 gears, I would start in 3rd LO.

I'm getting soft.  I have A/C and power steering now, along with the 237.

Many thanks for the vid; You're pretty smooth in that video; nice job.  I'll be studying this. 

Years ago bought a VHS tape about 2-stick shifting, that got me going.  Set up a couple of broomsticks in the living room, as I recall to practice.  Vid was from Bill Comcowich.  Can't play the tape anymore.

Wouldn't mind some power steering, for sure, but the reading I did on the subject suggested that the air driven systems available as add-ons were troublesome.  

You will learn to take your time.  You can't rush these transmissions.  Smooth and steady will get it there.  Timing is everything.  I had a real time after putting the 237 in, as it does not rev as the old 673 did and I had to slow my shifting even more.

Someone posted my two hand shifting that I did a year or so later after the first video.

Yes, I have all the ATHS videos from back when.  I also have the special all twin stick DVD that Lindsey put out about 15 yrs ago?   Neat stuff.  There is some of it on Youtube, but not all.  I met Dr. Bill at the Syracuse ATHS nationals in '03.  He invited everyone to climb in his W71 and play around.

I put air steering on mine about 5 yrs ago.  I gathered up pieces from a fellow here on BMT.  I got lucky, it was a system from a fire truck and very low use.   Everything was in good shape, just needed a few things touched up.  It has worked flawlessly.  Yes, they do have their drawbacks and I suppose when they wear out they can be bad.  Surely beats Armstrong steering after all these years of driving it.   Air o Matic was bought out by a company in Cleveland, Ohio(local to me).  They offered some parts, but I see their website does not list it anymore.  Likely going to get real scarce.

Mine after cleaning it up, fixing the mounting bushing for the ram and installing a new boot(rancho shock boot)

IMG_20141222_184204_577.jpg

Here is the new bearing installed.  The original bearing was gone, I had to make a bushing for this bearing as it was an odd size.  Working at a machine shop has its advantages.

IMG_20150124_214334_878.jpg

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

13 hours ago, dayradebaugh said:

Wouldn't mind some power steering, for sure, but the reading I did on the subject suggested that the air driven systems available as add-ons were troublesome.  

The Garrison air assist has worked pretty well on a Brockway I have.  If you could get the gear in decent condition, it would be something to consider.

Shifting takes practice, skill and coordination.  Sometimes skill and coordination is lacking with me and about then, patience jumps out the window!

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

16 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Shifting takes practice, skill and coordination.  Sometimes skill and coordination is lacking with me and about then, patience jumps out the window!

LOL!!!   That goes for me too!  Some days it would have been better to just stay home.

• Like 1

Larry