E7 Oil filter housing/Oil cooler leak

USMC205

I've got an '01 E7 460 that has the double spin on with centrifugal filter on top.  It seems like the oil filter housing is leaking down the side of the block.  It seems to be getting worse over time so it's time to get at it.  I'm new to working on this engine but it seems like the oil cooler is right there with it.  I'm thinking drain down coolant, unhook lines going to the cooler, unbold housing at block, replace gasket or whatever it has and bolt everything back up.  Does this seem about right and is there anything I should know or any extra parts I will need?  I tried searching and couldn't find a topic on it.  Thanks for the help.

Don't remember how exactly they're put together, but oil cooler gaskets and o rings should be readily available and easy to change.  Might need to to change the rubber drain tube out the bottom of the centrifilter, it may be hardened with age.

If the oil cooler isn't leaking I wouldn't touch it. I forget if the oil filter housing is attached to the oil cooler or just to the block.

Ill check more into it tomorrow, hopefully I can just unbolt the oil filter housing from the block and replace the gasket and be done.  I already have that gasket, it might be a pain in the ass to do it without touching the oil cooler, but we'll see.

12 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Make sure you get the correct pedestal gasket for the oil manifold base. I believe there are two variations that can be easily swapped after Mack did the left hand revision for the flipped centrimax and cluster plate cooler. 

THIS! Make certain you have the exact gasket that came of it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

Volvo helped cured the issue by screwing up Mack’s parts system. Now they have to chassis search every part instead of operating on shelf-memory and the first two alpha’s. 

Tell me about it! My mind used to be an encyclopedia of Mack part numbers. Our parts shelves lined up alphabetically, now I couldn't tell you the part number of squat.

29 minutes ago, steeler said:

Tell me about it! My mind used to be an encyclopedia of Mack part numbers. Our parts shelves lined up alphabetically, now I couldn't tell you the part number of squat.

Our parts manager was discombobulated. He was standing there with a small bag of engine bolts in his hand and a suspension Z-spring on the floor. According to Volvo they had to be sitting on the shelf next to each other to be numerically synchronized.

23 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Make sure you get the correct pedestal gasket for the oil manifold base. I believe there are two variations that can be easily swapped after Mack did the left hand revision for the flipped centrimax and cluster plate cooler. 

Any idea of the torque specs for the manifold bolts?  The gasket is a metal type manifold gasket so it might be a little more than I’m thinking.

9 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Volvo helped cured the issue by screwing up Mack’s parts system. Now they have to chassis search every part instead of operating on shelf-memory and the first two alpha’s. 

Yup Volvo couldn't organize a shit fight!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 5/11/2019 at 6:44 AM, USMC205 said:

I've got an '01 E7 460 that has the double spin on with centrifugal filter on top.  It seems like the oil filter housing is leaking down the side of the block.  It seems to be getting worse over time so it's time to get at it.  I'm new to working on this engine but it seems like the oil cooler is right there with it.  I'm thinking drain down coolant, unhook lines going to the cooler, unbold housing at block, replace gasket or whatever it has and bolt everything back up.  Does this seem about right and is there anything I should know or any extra parts I will need?  I tried searching and couldn't find a topic on it.  Thanks for the help.

I had the same problem, the weeping oil leek kept get in worse,  so I replaced the gasket, but it turned out to be a poorest manifold casting so now I have to do it all again.