Mack TRDXL-1070 questions

AMGeneral

Howdy All,

First post here, long time Mack lover, first time owner,

I have a 1969 R685ST currently set up with a 14 ft Heil dump bed, 285 tip turbine engine, 38k rears with  a CRDPC 92 front and CRD 93 rear diffs, both with 6.34 ratio.

It has a  TRDXL-1070 6 speed, 2 stick trans....

Anyone have any experience  with this type of transmission? evidently it is an odd bird as most local Mack guys have never heard of it, and my local Mack dealer is about the same.

I am not having any major problems, other than a "whine"? in 5th gear, high range.

Fluid is clean and at the proper level, magnets are clean and no difficulty in shifting.

Mack 5.jpg

We have a couple of trucks with that type transmission and one truck I just pulled that transmission out of and replaced it with an overdrive transmission to try and lower my engine rpm in top gear. I love those transmissions in dump trucks. I think ours all have some gear whine. In the 30 years I’ve been around these trucks I don’t think any of them have been opened up for repairs. Triple countershafts and double tough. If it was mine I’d truck on if you like it. One of these was ran out of oil 20 years ago or more. Mechanic put a seal in it and refilled it with oil and it’s been more noisy than the rest ever since but it’s still never been apart... Lol

• Like 1

They was also a direct version of that trans, they were only used a couple of years, then the went to the 107 six speed with the multi speed reverse. 5 spd. on the main and low-low, reverse and direct on the back box.     terry:MackLogo:

1 hour ago, Macktruckman said:

We have a couple of trucks with that type transmission and one truck I just pulled that transmission out of and replaced it with an overdrive transmission to try and lower my engine rpm in top gear. I love those transmissions in dump trucks. I think ours all have some gear whine. In the 30 years I’ve been around these trucks I don’t think any of them have been opened up for repairs. Triple countershafts and double tough. If it was mine I’d truck on if you like it. One of these was ran out of oil 20 years ago or more. Mechanic put a seal in it and refilled it with oil and it’s been more noisy than the rest ever since but it’s still never been apart... Lol

Thanks Macktruckman, 

It's not an a pronounced noise, just noticeable, even with hearing protection on in the cab.

I guess I am a stickler for everything being "right" on a truck I drive, and since I use it for my part time grading business being down isn't a option.

I guess this would be considered an OD trans then?  It tops out at 42 mph in 5th low , and about 63 mph in 5th high. No speed demon, but it pulls my 20 ton dovetail and track loader  with ease.

I wish I could say it was in good shape when I bought it, but  after going through both rears, new axle shafts, new u joints, new clutch and new king pins and bushings, it does OK now.

I guess this isn't really my first Mack, I have owned several of the 673 powered military trucks  so no stranger to the Mack name!

Edited by AMGeneral

Yes sir I believe that is an overdrive transmission. We don’t have that exact transmission. Ours are all direct. 1 thru 5 on the main stick and reverse, low and direct on the second stick. If yours is what I’m thinking of it has reverse in the main stick... that correct?

4 minutes ago, Macktruckman said:

Yes sir I believe that is an overdrive transmission. We don’t have that exact transmission. Ours are all direct. 1 thru 5 on the main stick and reverse, low and direct on the second stick. If yours is what I’m thinking of it has reverse in the main stick... that correct?

Yes sir, R and 1-5 on the main, like a typical Mack 5 speed, High and Low on the Aux, but you can only shift to High in 4th and 5th gears, R and 1-3 are locked out by an internal gate.

Mack 10.jpg

Edited by AMGeneral

Yes that’s the one I was thinking of 

if I remember right it has a really tall overdrive gear, like .60 or something close. That’s why you can get to 63 mph on those 6.34 rears. I’m fixing up my personal truck right now. It has 4.17’s and had the direct 107 transmission and it wouldn’t go any faster than yours or quite as fast. I swapped in an Eaton 9LL with the.73 overdrive. I have not driven it yet but I’m almost finished. Gotta mount 8 new drives and put in kingpins and bushings tomorrow. How hard were your kingpins to get out?

Just now, Macktruckman said:

if I remember right it has a really tall overdrive gear, like .60 or something close. That’s why you can get to 63 mph on those 6.34 rears. I’m fixing up my personal truck right now. It has 4.17’s and had the direct 107 transmission and it wouldn’t go any faster than yours or quite as fast. I swapped in an Eaton 9LL with the.73 overdrive. I have not driven it yet but I’m almost finished. Gotta mount 8 new drives and put in kingpins and bushings tomorrow. How hard were your kingpins to get out?

I did both by myself here in the shop( I worked for Freightliner as a Class 8 truck mechanic for several years) in about 5 hours, but my front axle is only a 10K unit. I did put an OEM kit in it from my local Mack dealership. I think it was $ 250 for the complete kit, bushings, pins and bearings.

2 minutes ago, Macktruckman said:

You got the early R. Steel dash and the cab built for short people. Lol

we have 2 of those trucks left.

Yeah, I bought it about 3 hours east of me , It is a bit cramped for me at 6' 1" , no power steering either, so you have about 1 inch between the A pillar and the 22 inch diameter steering wheel.

Edited by AMGeneral

I have never driven the older 2 stick 5 speed with the over drive  but all of the 2 stick 6 Direct 6 speeds had some sort of whine to them. some it was just felt in the stick others were more of a howl... the good thing is all of them were damm near bullet proof. I can only think of a few that needed bearings or something normal for wear items.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Macktruckman said:

I like it. Pretty good looking old rig. Especially considering it’s 50 years old this year. What’s the dozer if you don’t mind me asking?

I to Am interested in the make year of the dozer I have a similar looking unit in my back yard a  47 Oliver

The trans noise you have was a common complaint and normal for them trannys nothing to sweat over !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Macktruckman said:

You will love them 4.17's with that overdrive trans, should run about 65 at 1600 RPMs.  I once had a DM dump with mack 12spd. and 4.17 rears, and engine would run to 2300RPMs, I could bury the 80 MPH speedometer.    terry:MackLogo:

Edited by terry

Sorry it took me a while to get back, busy here lately,

The dozer in the picture is a 1953 Caterpillar D4, 7U series with a Caterpillar 4A manual angle blade, direct drive, pony motor  start with 6796 original hours.

The picture was taken the day I picked it up a couple months ago, I use it in my part time grading business along with my Cat 941B.

20181229_160203.jpg

20171118_151955.jpg