Anyone Know Size of This Winch

alex g

I got this winch to mount on a float trailer I'm assuming it's large enough to do the job but I'd like to know how many pounds it's rated at. The info tag is cut in half so I can't get any info from it. It has 1/2 inch cable and it's a Garwood. 

20190202_114805.jpg

20190202_114756.jpg

I've pulled a lot of rolling dead class 8 trucks up onto rollbacks and carriers w/12K winches. This one will do fine in the application you speak of. GarWood always was a good winch but the other large brands, (Tulsa, Braden, Carco,  DP, etc.) were much more widely available in the civilian markets than GarWood ever was. It's been years since they were around and finding someone with new parts access would be difficult I'd think.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Not a lot at all really if the oil is kept at full level. They are a worm gear type and if you pull the rounded cover on the top and look at the bronze gear it will tell you lots. If the edges are sharp, it is heavily worn. The gear should have about 1/16", to 1/8" margin on the edges. The margin is the flat area at the top of the teeth. I always ran GL-4 90wt in my worm gear winches as some of the GL-5 was not compatible with the bronze. Most of that is gone nowadays but I still run GL-4.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to run it off wet line on my truck so I have to get a hydraulic drive for it yet any suggestions on size of hydraulic drive? Also thanks for oil info I did not realize some oil was not compatible with bronze gears.

Need the numbers from your PTO, Pump, and speed you wish to operate at for sizing a drive. Most of those mechanical winches are either a 34:1, or a 40:1 reduction and I recommend no more than 12fpm of line speed at your chosen engine speed. Also is your plan to chain drive this winch?

That looks like a large pump. Is this a tractor set up for a dump trailer? If so the flow may need to be divided to be in parameters needed. Need the drum dimensions of the winch and sprocket pitch on the winch also.

Alex G

gudday m8

look for a # on plate

4mb = 30,000,

5mb = 45,000

6mb = 60000

7mb = 100000

May B u got a 3mb 20,000

run n hyd has many usefull advantages

but U could run direct drive as in pto, shaft, sproket chain etc

we run 4mb, pto chain drive & @ idel engine revs we can snap a 3/4" cable

2ee74999-1f24-4fc3-836a-6661.JPG

WickedWenches.jpg

On a Garwood U can have the drive in any cnr  .... swap it round ..... mix n match for your N joyment

cya

• 1 month later...

I have a 1946 Braden 20,000# that I chain drive with a Char-Lynn 104-1042 hydraulic motor. I've run it several years now and have yet to tear anything up. Both sprockets are about equal in number of teeth, I'm away from the truck, it's either 60 or 80 chain.

The neat thing about a hydraulic winch is you can set the bypass low enough you won't destroy anything, and you can watch the gauge and tell what you've got on it.

As for the Garwood winch, dragging should be fine, but I'd be wary of lifting. Old Garwoods have a reputation for slipping like a Zebco.

If you can "slip" a worm drive winch it is far beyond safe to use; nor will it operate at designed capacity.

That being said I've seen "scrappers" and such operate equipment till someone is either killed, maimed, or seriously injured before they will take a piece of equipment out of service.

No reference to anyone or anybody with that comment but there are some beyond stupid that will run equipment like that and the lawyers love them.

The Char-Lynn hydraulic motor you are using is 14.9 CIR and with 2000psi hydraulic pressure against it should deliver about 3980 inch pounds of torque at the output. At 15gpm is should rotate about 49 - 50 rpm unless leaking internally.

I certainly hope you are running a case drain, return line filtration, and good maintenance practices or you are shortening your equipment service life significantly.

• Like 1