mack 18 speed question

mackr1989

I had a T318 in the truck sold. The 2180  might be different; but if I recall correctly; according to the manual it wants you to split in gear; make shift then split. It was definitely different than Eaton; think Eaton you pre select then shift & it shifts going through neutral 

pretty sure you can download a manual 

14 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I really liked my Mack transmission; but they don’t shift as fast as an Eaton, But I believe they are better performers with that triple shaft in heavy applications 

Have agree with that thinking, better to split that torque up with three countershafts than two!!    terry:MackLogo:

7 minutes ago, ekennedy21 said:

the 13 speed can only be split on the high side. 18 can be shifted in either. That being said, I only split on the high

That’s true on a Mack transmission; only difference is the knob; but it is made to split in either or high & low; you don’t need a steering wheel holder driving anything but an automatic of some sort

19 hours ago, 1965 said:

I really liked my Mack transmission; but they don’t shift as fast as an Eaton, But I believe they are better performers with that triple shaft in heavy applications 

Mack T2100's are defiantly not a fast shifting thing. I like an 18 spd myself because it can be shifted several different ways, 8,12 or 16 depending on the load plus the low hole that is rarely used making 9, 13 or 18 spds. Start skipping or not splitting gears and it seems like forever for the engine to wind down and go into the next gear. You want a throw into gear trans and easier to shift an Eaton is the way to go.

Edited by AZB755V8

14 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

Mack T2100's are defiantly not a fast shifting thing. I like an 18 spd myself because it can be shifted several different ways, 8,12 or 16 depending on the load plus the low hole that is rarely used making 9, 13 or 18 spds. Start skipping or not splitting gears and it seem like forever for the engine to wind down and go into the next gear. You want a throw into gear trans and easier to shift an Eaton is the way to go.

YUP ! Agreed Just as a note If you Do Preselect your (split)  however you need to make your shift immediately to avoid damage to the shift fork on  EITHER OR transmission!