Spring pins and bushings?

MACKS

• 4 weeks later...
On October 15, 2018 at 8:36 PM, Mack Technician said:

Do the spring eye bushings right in chassis. Hammer if you can swing, threaded rod or center hole Porta power of you can’t.  

Remove rear upper pedestal and remove bushing on bench or in press. One side at a time may give better control of axle. 

Thanks,not sure what to do now,is it worth even replacing on 22 year old springs or should I just go to a spring shop and replace the springs ?

5 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

If you aren’t leaning and nothings broke why replace whole spring? 

That's  exactly my thinking but a couple people posted otherwise,I personally know of more than a few Macks in there 80's that still have the original front springs,Thanks for your input..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MACKS said:

That's  exactly my thinking but a couple people posted otherwise,I personally know of more than a few Macks in there 80's that still have the original front springs,Thanks for your input..

They made good springs. Most of the time you will have center leaf breaks and not a main leaf breaks when it is time to retire the springs. Even after a front impact the center bolt will snap and preserve the spring integrity. We'd put a new center bolt in spring, new set of u-bolts and back on the road.   

• 2 months later...

Here is a pic of a broken left front center leaf on a 1963 B61T.  I only use the truck on my property so this won’t get fixed for a while.  I’d like to here recommended solutions.  Buying a used spring from someone parting a truck versus taking the spring to a spring shop.  

4A4DA562-047E-4031-A4AD-B22926ED44DD.jpeg

Edited by HugeHugh