ED/DE HOOD STRIPS

Does anyone know where I can get the small chrome hood strips that install adjacent to the Mack logo? I have searched high and low, auctions, flea markets, online and Carlisle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need them for both side (4 small pieces total) 1938-1944-ED    1939-1942-DE

IMG_1939.JPG

Jim, I agree they are like hen’s teeth. I will probably go the same route and fabricate my own. I feel pretty lucky that they were the only trim items missing from my truck. Over the past year I have seen members posting pics of restoration candidates completely void of trim and the grilles. Locating these items will be a daunting task for these guys I wish them success in their efforts.

1 hour ago, h67st said:

Looks great! How did you make those?

Patience, grinding wheel, files, 1200-2000-3000-grit wet and dry. They are made from 3/16" x 5/16" Grade W1 Steel Ground Flat Stock available from Fastenal in 3-ft lengths for $8.15 (shipping was more than material). I made a mock-up of the hole pattern from the hood so I could lay it on the workbench. I did discover the holes in my hood leaves are not consistent, I don’t know if this was a Mack issue from 1942 or if someone else re-drilled the holes. Drilled shallow holes on each end and used a thread forming screw to allow for connection points for the chrome process. Had them chrome plated locally here in Richmond @ Hanlon Plating Company. In a conversation with Tom Hanlon he said they do a fair amount of plating for antique trucks and tractors . GOOD LUCK  and let me know how it goes.

• Like 1

Peaches and cream!

I think I shared these pictures before but it is an OEM strip against the Mack badge.  When I made a set, a friend had some brass stock that is just a smidge wider than original.  I am hoping he has some more brass in stock when it is time to make some more.

Hood strip - Copy.JPG

Hood Strip Emblem.JPG

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

11 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

The thing that impresses me is you where looking for them.   Then 8 days later you had them made and chromed already.     I wish I was that productive.   

I had actually ordered and cut the stock to length months ago but wanted originals. Just decided to finish them the day after my post. The whole process for each piece, grinding the ends and sanding/polishing only took about 25-30 mins each and I took them to the platter the same day. You revealed my lack of patience, especially for these after looking high and low

• Like 1