Another new guy

12V71

Oh yeah Superliners were available with the dozen there was one years ago that roamed the West Coast with twin turbos, engine was built by a boat yard in Long Beach Ca.

That puppy flew. There was not a Cat or Cummins around that would run with it.

Truck Shop

One ping only

22 hours ago, Truck Shop said:

Oh yeah Superliners were available with the dozen there was one years ago that roamed the West Coast with twin turbos, engine was built by a boat yard in Long Beach Ca.

That puppy flew. There was not a Cat or Cummins around that would run with it.

Truck Shop

The black one? I recall a discussion about that one. 

12V71 was at a blokes joint today and was looking at a 453 he is putting in little IH truck (guessi g a 2 or 3 ton mid 50's type)

Anyway got to talking about a Jacobs brake for it and I suggested you may have a lead as to were to get a set so said Id ask

So any idea's were  to track a set down ? 

And a questio  from me , have you ever mucked around  with a 6 110 GM ???

Paul 

7 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

12V71 was at a blokes joint today and was looking at a 453 he is putting in little IH truck (guessi g a 2 or 3 ton mid 50's type)

Anyway got to talking about a Jacobs brake for it and I suggested you may have a lead as to were to get a set so said Id ask

So any idea's were  to track a set down ? 

And a questio  from me , have you ever mucked around  with a 6 110 GM ???

Paul 

53 series jakes shouldn't be too hard to find from truck recycling out fits, He's going to need one Master (with solenoid) and 3 slave units. Finding the rocker cover extension will be the hardest part. I'm looking for a set myself, a friend is dropping a 4-53 into a '96 F-450 as a fun project using a Clark 5 speed and a small under/direct/overdrive auxiliary trans. 

And yes I have some experience with 6-110s. haven't seen one in more than a few years. 

• Like 1

All the old timers really liked the 6-110’s; especially in cranes & tugs; they had more torque than the 8V-71 that supposedly replaced them.

want never forget; I worked on a tug that had a 6-110 on the port & 8V71’s on center & starboard & they wanted them 8V’s to do like that 110. Ha

Edited by 1965

4 hours ago, 1965 said:

All the old timers really liked the 6-110’s; especially in cranes & tugs; they had more torque than the 8V-71 that supposedly replaced them.

want never forget; I worked on a tug that had a 6-110 on the port & 8V71’s on center & starboard & they wanted them 8V’s to do like that 110. Ha

They should have moved the 6-110 to the center, if the 8V-71's weren't turbocharged, they had no chance to keep up. Not sure what the marine rating was on a 110 but it was 350HP on dirt. They were pretty good engines except for the weak heads and gobs of LOUD noise they produced. I'm betting with a good cylinder head and turbocharging they could have been 430-450 HP engines. 

Worked on a few industrial twin units running drilling equipment, they usually only needed one engine to run the works the other was a spare. Nothing like replacing the head on one while the other is bellowing away 3' next to it. 

There was I think you blokes call them a L model on here with a 6 110 for sale a few years back that had hair drier hanging off it that the add said made 450 hp

The reason I asked was Im on the look out for one for my next project

And yes I will punish you all with some more videos if I can get all the bits and pieces together lol

Paul 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

There was I think you blokes call them a L model on here with a 6 110 for sale a few years back that had hair drier hanging off it that the add said made 450 hp

The reason I asked was Im on the look out for one for my next project

And yes I will punish you all with some more videos if I can get all the bits and pieces together lol

Paul 

Looking forward to that video. So will the 110 be in a truck or a piece of heavy equipment? I used to know the whereabouts of 4 to 6 of those dinosaurs but the scrap price went up and they disappeared. Five years back I saw 2 really old Euclid S-18's with 110's that had the Centrifugal blower on the rear of the engine, I think they got the torch too. Back in '03 I looked at a Euclid 4 wheel scraper tractor to pull a large BeGe type box scraper, A good 6-110, 4 speed Allison and good tires all for $2500 USD. The steering gear and knuckles were so bad I just walked away. 

8 hours ago, 12V71 said:

Looking forward to that video. So will the 110 be in a truck or a piece of heavy equipment? I used to know the whereabouts of 4 to 6 of those dinosaurs but the scrap price went up and they disappeared. Five years back I saw 2 really old Euclid S-18's with 110's that had the Centrifugal blower on the rear of the engine, I think they got the torch too. Back in '03 I looked at a Euclid 4 wheel scraper tractor to pull a large BeGe type box scraper, A good 6-110, 4 speed Allison and good tires all for $2500 USD. The steering gear and knuckles were so bad I just walked away. 

In a truck for heavier type work, like most old trucks out here it will be rough and tough and no show pony by any stretch of the imagination, but will rarely if ever work much at all

Paul 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

In a truck for heavier type work, like most old trucks out here it will be rough and tough and no show pony by any stretch of the imagination, but will rarely if ever work much at all

Paul 

Big old ugly prime mover type with a 6-110... What's not to like. Maybe a big ugly Euclid with two 6-110's side by side. 😃

On 7/16/2018 at 5:43 AM, mrsmackpaul said:

Sounds good!  I will have to stock up on popcorn.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.