'58 B42

I just purchased my first B. The previous owner (2 owners ago) ditched the rear axles and swapped in a Hendrickson suspension. I think it's off of a Freightliner by the looks of it. None of the airlines are hooked up and also the driveshaft needs figured out. Best I can tell is the pinion angle is off from the original carrier bearing. Has anyone ever attempted this conversion? Would it be easier to just go back to the OE setup? Until I get it home and look at it, I'm not sure what the gear ratio is. It's a Spicer rear and definitely heavy. I get the direction the previous owner was heading but with the gas motor and quadraplex, I'm not sure how well that's gonna fly... Thanks for any guidance.

received_1999945313411127.jpeg

received_1999945486744443.jpeg

received_1999945473411111.jpeg

received_1999945320077793.jpeg

Edited by Johnny_B

we need  more info.need to know the gear ratio of the rear definitely an upgrade but don't plan on turning anything higher than a 5 something gear ratio with a flathead 401 and a quadbox. we stuck a 4.62 in out B42 single axle out of a B61 jus to go to shows so it would have some highway gears and not be screaming but i wouldn't ever wanna hook onto a load with it as it originally had 6.42 gears . most tandem B42's had 7.49 gear ratios or 8.10 's and would do 52 miles an hour 

• Thanks 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

2 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

we need  more info.need to know the gear ratio of the rear definitely an upgrade but don't plan on turning anything higher than a 5 something gear ratio with a flathead 401 and a quadbox. we stuck a 4.62 in out B42 single axle out of a B61 jus to go to shows so it would have some highway gears and not be screaming but i wouldn't ever wanna hook onto a load with it as it originally had 6.42 gears . most tandem B42's had 7.49 gear ratios or 8.10 's and would do 52 miles an hour 

I'll be able to give more details once it's actually at my place. As of right now my plan is to make the truck either a rollback/ramp truck or maybe a tractor. As soon as it's home I'll update everyone. Depending on how the gas motor runs, I may stick to the original drivetrain. If not, then maybe a diesel/trans swap will be in the future. 

3 hours ago, terry said:

That flathead engine is way underpowered for any kind of work truck.   terry

If I have my way, it'll be more for conversation and hauling my other true love to car show's. 

I put a single axle airliner air ride from a freightliner under my B and it drives  and rides very nice.    Mines a 4.30 gear ratio with my diesel and dueplex it maxes out at 65mph at 2300rpm with 12r 22.5 drive tires.   Drives nice bobtailing but can definatly tell when it's loaded.  

You air ride should only take 1 airline to supply it going to the leveling valve then tee-ing off to each air bag. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

I put a single axle airliner air ride from a freightliner under my B and it drives  and rides very nice.    Mines a 4.30 gear ratio with my diesel and dueplex it maxes out at 65mph at 2300rpm with 12r 22.5 drive tires.   Drives nice bobtailing but can definatly tell when it's loaded.  

You air ride should only take 1 airline to supply it going to the leveling valve then tee-ing off to each air bag. 

Beautiful truck buddy. What engine are you running? I'm thinking more about ditching the gasser and swapping in something... Either staying true to the era or going newer...

Thanks        it's the original "to the time anyway" 673 non turbo mack    Mine being a b67 the motor leans to the right and is shoved back into the cab due to a 7" shorter hood.  I bought it knowing very little about B models other then I like them.    If mine would have the standard length hood and the engine standing straight up and down I'd prob look into sticking a 8.3 cummins in it.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 12:00 PM, Hobert62 said:

Revisiting this post now that it's finally home. The rear that was swapped in is an Eaton housing with 4:11's. Working on cleaning the mildew off of her yet and learning more and more about her. Got the 401 running. Mechanically it sounds quiet. The carb could definitely benefit from a rebuild though.  Everything except the rear appears original to the truck.