Sign in to follow this  
kscarbel2

Cummins Forms Joint Venture with China's JAC Motors

Heavy Duty Trucking (HDT)  /  May 14, 2018

Cummins and Chinese manufacturer JAC Motors have announced a 50-50 joint-venture partnership after Cummins purchased Navistar’s 50% equity position in the JAC-Navistar Diesel Engine Company.

“I am delighted that Cummins is expanding our long-term relationship with JAC Motors, one of the most respected automotive companies in China,” said Steve Chapman, Cummins Group vice president, China and Russia. “By strengthening our relationship, we can focus on becoming more competitive in our markets by developing and offering high-quality, clean and fuel-efficient products.”

The partnership will continue its operations at the JAC manufacturing facility in Hefei, China. Cummins currently supplies diesel engines to JAC Motors in the Chinese market. The joint venture will continue offering customers diesel engines and focus on developing new products that meet upcoming Chinese emissions standards.

“The joint venture partnership between JAC Motors and Cummins is a natural progression in our successful 20-year relationship and we are thrilled about the potential of the partnership,” said Xiang Xingchu, general manager of JAC Motors. “By integrating our equipment expertise with Cummins’ world-class technological and powertrain capabilities, we are confident we have the right formula in place for tremendous success.”

image 4.jpg

image 3.jpg

image 2.jpg

Another example of China buying/stealing the west's technology then kicks the investor to the curb.

Given the less than warm reception the vertically integrated truck makers here are giving Cummins new G series engine, Cummins has no choice but to collaborate in new markets.

• Like 1

Cummins already has a Substantial Joint venture in China With Foton..

Kevin, is there any current connection between JAC (just a copy) & Foton  ??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Cummins already has a Substantial Joint venture in China With Foton..

Kevin, is there any current connection between JAC (just a copy) & Foton  ??

Dongfeng Cummins was the first JV, plus another building KTAs. Foton is relatively new. 

No connection between Beijing municipal government-owned Foton and Anhui provincial government-owned JAC.

• Like 1

Thanks, I knew you'd know..

As an aside.15 months ago i bought a Cummins powered Foton Ute (Pickup). & so far I'm more than happy with It..

10 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Thanks, I knew you'd know..

As an aside.15 months ago i bought a Cummins powered Foton Ute (Pickup). & so far I'm more than happy with It..

Does your pickup have the 5.0 v8, the r2.8 or the 6.7 or something else? Just curious what is offered on your side of the world. 

12 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

Does your pickup have the 5.0 v8, the r2.8 or the 6.7 or something else? Just curious what is offered on your side of the world. 

it has the ISF 2.8....

https://fotonmotor.com.au/

3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

it has the ISB 2.8....

https://fotonmotor.com.au/

I wonder if that's the Aussie version of the new r2.8l? Wish they'd offer it in a vehicle over here instead of strictly a crate engine. Have fun with it any how. 

• Like 1

The Tunland is a fine mid-sized pickup. I did tell their engineers though I felt the grille is overdone. The ISF2.8 delivers abundant power.

14 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

The Tunland is a fine mid-sized pickup. I did tell their engineers though I felt the grille is overdone. The ISF2.8 delivers abundant power.

The Grille is no where near as overdone (My opinion) as the Grille in the LDV T60  That was released here 4-5 Months ago..

13 hours ago, Hayseed said:

The Grille is no where near as overdone (My opinion) as the Grille in the LDV T60  That was released here 4-5 Months ago..

I feel the Tunland’s logo is excessively large, not proportional. 

SAIC’e version of the LDV van (Maxus)  is fine. But pickups aren’t SAIC’s  specialty. 

I do admire the Chinese automaker’s willingness to engineer RHD for global markets.

• Like 1