MP7 looses its prime

I have a 2012 with a mp7 2010 emissions (spark assist) the problem I'm having is it looses its fuel prime over the weekend, sometimes overnight.  I replaced the fuel filter head and filters, one check ball was sticking. Still did it.  Replaced the "pressure regulator" on the return side on top of the head, still did it. Did an air in fuel test and it looked great. Did a warm hold function, that was good torque was 60ft# at idle. Did a cylinder balance test and #2 was off the most (+23), #6 was next at -20, # 3 -19. This vehicle only has 37k on it. But its a paint truck, really heavy and really slow driving. Do I have an injector leaking down causing it to loose its prime?

4 hours ago, OJ Avery said:

injectors are out, 2 of them show significantly more carbon than the rest. That's just a lot of $ for so little miles. Glad its not mine

I just did mine on an 08 mp7. Around 50,000 miles.. mack talked me into replacing with the updated cups and injectors 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fjh said:

Mackpro have you had any cup / injector failures on the common rail units in you area yet? Not a one here yet !

Nope . Other than at school, we have never pulled the valve cover off a common rail engine here. A few Particulate matter sensors and software have been the only problems so far . And we have several running around here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fjh said:

Mackpro have you had any cup / injector failures on the common rail units in you area yet? Not a one here yet !

1 hour ago, Mackpro said:

Nope . Other than at school, we have never pulled the valve cover off a common rail engine here. A few Particulate matter sensors and software have been the only problems so far . And we have several running around here.

The instructor at Volvo training said the elimination of graphite paste in injector assembling was a move to stop improper factory installation. They suspected the paste would not displace fast enough to react to rapid installation of assembly machine. The lubricant would not crawl out, get hydro-locked, then create a false torque that loosened.    

• Like 1

A few months back they had us quit using graphite paste and only rub some oil on the injector seating area. Last time I checked, we are back to using graphite paste but only a very very small amount. I need to pull it back up in Impact and see if they changed their minds again! Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There torquing method is out to lunch in my mind tightening and loosening makes little sense in my mind how ever with such a wimpy bolt this method  may be needed!we did some the other day we used oil! WHAT ever!  any assembly procedure alterations will not totally  correct a poor hold down design! 

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Sad thing is Volvo has been using this same set up back in the D12 days(12-15 years ago or more). 

Definition of crazy ! Doing the same thing over and over and getting the same result!  😠

• Like 1

I did the injectors and it doesn't lose its prime overnight. Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. This forum is gold to me as I work on DOT  trucks with little factory training. We've been given a decent supply of specialty tools so doing all repairs is possible but a little short on diagnostics. We've been using the graphite paste on all our injector jobs. We do probably more than average amount of injectors because of the truck use. They're plow trucks so they're over loaded with iron and salt and usually travel about 35-40 mph. we don't usually see a set go past 100,000 miles.

• Thanks 1