On 4/19/2018 at 3:16 PM, Mike Stormo said:

I checked the turbo on the donor engine this morning and it looks like it might fit

I hope that turbo elbow hasn't been open like that---you don't want any debris or water getting into the turbo.

Does that have a deep frame like a B53? Looks like a short hood, have a doghouse in it?    terry:thumb:

I don't watch sports on tv, but my kid likes the packers.   It's a nice short hood.  Would look good at my place.   

Is it a flat back cab?

Edited by Hobert62

Dayton wobblers were a signature of the B53 and B57 trucks with the floatation tires on the straight beam Rockwell axle . be hard in my opinion to change them out when they looked great from the factory. B57 was basically an early version of a DM. same frame, same axles

Edited by Maddog13407
  • Like 1

My B53 has bud style wheels, I think I would like to make them the same. I am out west and there is no one that will, or knows how to change them.

It has a dog house and a fish belly frame, as far as I can tell all the same specs. as my B53 except for the short hood.

Can any body confirm that the front hubs would be the same as a DM and does anyone have a set they might sell.

I have a complete set or Mack rears on camel back springs with s cam brakes, that should make it ride better.

I think I am going to find a roll back bed for it and make a hauler, so a better ride would be important.

34K Camelback doesn't ride too bad empty but 38K and above are stiff unless loaded. With a bare steel rollback, or steel slideback bed with a subframe they will be a little softer, but still no pickup truck.

Going to be a challenge to round up parts to swap to Budd wheels. Need to remove a front hub, measure bearings, bearing surfaces, and spacing to obtain the correct style replacement hubs. Most of those axles used "Center Point" steering geometry which is different than standard. The spindles differ from standard.

There may be a reason that truck is out west and has Dayton hubs installed. In dump truck application and pit work they are stronger, (IMO) than the Budd style wheels as far as taking abuse. The newer unimount or hub pilot style have largely mitigated the broken mounting hole symptoms, but they have their own problems too; like not wanting to stay tight.

Mike Stormo always remember " Spoke Wheels Rule". Nice Nice B-57 same cab tin as a B-66 or 67. I have a B-67 they have small doghouse it is not in the way in my opinion.

Wow that is nice good luck with it...bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Joe Ditchkus said:

Mike Stormo always remember " Spoke Wheels Rule". Nice Nice B-57 same cab tin as a B-66 or 67. I have a B-67 they have small doghouse it is not in the way in my opinion.

Dog house really isn't in the way for the driver.  I agree.   The worst part is the shifters being 7" back further in the floor.  Combine that with a contour cab there's not much elbow room when shifting, or belly room between the seat and steering wheel.  I'm 6'2" 225#

• Like 1

A am glad I don't have a contour cab, it is already so tight that Mack put in a narrow buddy seat. I was looking at things this morning an noticed that the hood and fender panels are made of aluminum. Are the B67 and other short hood models that way?

The guy that I got it from said that it would hardly run,and had no power. I noticed that they put an electric fuel pump just out side the tank.                                                                                          I am going to change the filters tomorrow and try to get it started. If that doesn't work do you guys think the injector pump needs a rebuild? Or is there something else to try?

Yes, the B-67 series had aluminum panels as you do. The electric fuel pump is a concern. The manual fuel transfer pump which is mounted to the injection pump will need to keep at least 15psi against the fuel gallery inside the pump or it will starve out and be very low on power. I'd pull the transfer pump from the injection pump, put a kit in it from PAI, (or Mack) which is very easy to do and go from there. Fuel will enter the pump at the front port and at the back of the pump is a pressure regulator. This could be bad as it holds the pressure in the fuel gallery. If the spring is broken, (for instance) it will free flow fuel back to the tank and the plungers and barrels will not have pressure to fill properly prior to trying to raise injection pressure. Little to no fuel squirt and little to no power.

On a Mack you pull the pump and injectors and send them in together as they want to calibrate them together.  

My B-67 is the flat back cab. Same interior room as a B-61. Shifters in mine are placed right and are easy to shift.If it was a contour cab I would not fit in it.

I'M 5'6", 422 pounds, with a 54" waistline, (before bloating) and I fit inside a contour cab able to shift alright.

Edited by Rob

21 hours ago, Mike Stormo said:

My B53 has bud style wheels, I think I would like to make them the same. I am out west and there is no one that will, or knows how to change them.

It has a dog house and a fish belly frame, as far as I can tell all the same specs. as my B53 except for the short hood.

Can any body confirm that the front hubs would be the same as a DM and does anyone have a set they might sell.

I have a complete set or Mack rears on camel back springs with s cam brakes, that should make it ride better.

I think I am going to find a roll back bed for it and make a hauler, so a better ride would be important.

What's a fish belly frame?

The frame is about 12" under the cab,back to almost the rear ends, then it narrows down to about 10". Makes it look like a fish belly.

• Thanks 1

Rob who is PIA and how do I get a hold of them? Do you have the part number for the kit for the fuel transfer pump for a rotary type injection pump? My Mack dealer is worthless unless you want a part for a peace of sh-t Volvo. They don't have one parts man that was born before my trucks were built.

4 minutes ago, Mike Stormo said:

Rob who is PIA and how do I get a hold of them? Do you have the part number for the kit for the fuel transfer pump for a rotary type injection pump? My Mack dealer is worthless unless you want a part for a peace of sh-t Volvo. They don't have one parts man that was born before my trucks were built.

PAI is an aftermarket supplier of Mack and other heavy truck parts. Mostly Mack however. Check with any "Fleetpride" as they seem to have PAI available. I don't see any kit in their book for a rotary style pump which really was not all too common. IIRC it is a "PSJ" series injection pump. Never have been into one of those nor worked on an engine that was equipped with them. Snap a photo and post it so I can ensure we are talking apples to apples here. I know several places that may be able to get parts but I'll need numbers from your pump to move forward.

I don't think it would be hard to install an inline pump if you had the lines and pump both. They both drive the same way.