Bull Gear Failure

Dan107

Happy New Year Everyone!

I have a 2012 Mack CXU13 and on 12/22/17 it appears that I had a bull gear failure.  It rounded off the gears on the compressor and was making a lot of noise.  It is currently at the shop, but I'm wondering what the procedure is to repair this.  Does it require the engine to be pulled or can it be done the the transmission removed and still in frame?  The repair facility is wanting to do several procedures that  sound to me like lots of $$$$ and the shop boss keeps telling me this is a "major" repair.   I understand the complexity of the repair, but they won't tell me what "major" means in dollars.  Could someone help me out?  Thanks in advance.  

From reading, it looks like this was a problem with the 2012 Macks.  There was a service bulletin Mack sent out back then for a patch to slow failure.  It's part of the gear system at the rear of the engine that drives other components.   

YUP the trany out and the back of the engine off totally! In Frame thou!

Unfortunately  its very pricey it all depends on how much got ruined and what engine this was not confined to, the MP8  our competitor volvo dealer  did an mp 10 here up in the great white north it cost 25000 + NO WARRANTY CAUSE THEY DID IT! On the 10 we had one on the m8 fail after warranty cause the nut broke at the bandaid pin and one that got missed on the PI campaign! sorry can't confirm a solid price however (you get the idea!) and everything costs more here cause of the dollar difference!

Mackpro will likley be able to bring it in to a closer price range when he sees this post!

Edited by fjh

Thanks for the info.  The repair shop the truck is at said they pull the engine as well.  I bought a warranty for the truck when I made the purchase and the shop is having to provide pics to satisfy them so it seems the process is moving really slow.  The shop manager made suggestions of things he would do if it were "his" including pulling the pan and checking the mains and rod bearings, pulling the egr cooler to get to the oil pump for a flush, replace the oil filter housing....all I could see was $$$$ and lots of them.  

SEE I told ya! :D

There is a 5 year 500,000 mile warranty on this repair 

And today"s date IS ?   5 yrs to the day :angry:  likely ! Just how things go!

If You bought after market warranty hopefully your laughing !

Edited by fjh

Warranty that was purchased is useless!  Because the gears are held in place by a "fastener" they have denied coverage!  Now the repair shop has given me an estimate of 20K+ for the repair.  From the estimate it looks like all I would need is sleeves and pistons and I would have an in-frame overhaul.  What is going on?  

Unfortunately  I think  you are ! However this is how the game is played !

Question? Did the nut break or did it just come loose? Broken fastener and loose fastener? as you said they required pics so i imagine they are on firm ground how ever it don't hurt to ask! 

Edited by fjh

2 hours ago, fjh said:

Unfortunately  I think  you are ! However this is how the game is played !

Question? Did the nut break or did it just come loose? Broken fastener and loose fastener? as you said they required pics so i imagine they are on firm ground how ever it don't hurt to ask! 

The nut backed out from what I'm being told.  

1 hour ago, BC Mack said:

since everything in the engine is assembled with "fasteners" should we now weld everything up to comply with warranty???

BC Mack

It looks to me that this is a catch all clause to exempt them from ever paying a claim.  

Bummer

There was a campaign to pin that nut two years back that truck obviously got missed .the truck may have been in limbo or in between sales or simply overlooked . THE ( Avoidance Clause) , that would appear to be  the case!  Money for nothin ,:angry:  chicks for free! you get the last part of the warranty  the both half part! You get to keep both broken pieces !

Bastards