What Brand Oil Do Mack Dealers Use?

Flat Work

It's time to do an oil change in my truck. This is the first one I'll be doing on it myself. The truck has always been serviced at a Mack dealer, and I would like to continue using what the engine is used to getting.  The truck's an '04 CX-613. AC-427 engine.

Not looking to start a heated oil brand/type debate.  Just curious as to what oil the dealers use.

I've got to say that even though I'm not super impressed with the engine's overall power and performance, I have been very impressed that the engine is not an oil consumer. While I've only put about 6,000 miles on it in the 12 months I've owned it, they've been hard-worked miles. And the engine has not burned 1 drop of oil.

I’ve always heard that chevron made the oil for Mack; but that doesn’t mean your dealer uses Mack brand; I worked at a engine dealer in my younger days & they pushed 1 certain oil brand but the bulk tank was the cheapest stuff they could buy

Last I knew, Mack oil is supplied by Mobil (Delvac).  I don't think they changed suppliers.  Chevron and Shell have been trying to get Mack's business for many years but have not succeeded (to my knowledge).  But remember, just because an oil is supplied by a particular company does not mean it is the same oil.  The engine OE can specify a different formulation compared to "off the shelf" brands.  Important things to note...correct viscosity grade and API credentials.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

50 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

At our Mack dealership we used Mobil Delvac 1300 15W-40. It was branded "Bulldog". Also kept Rotella on tap for folks who wanted an alternative,,,,, nineteen out of twenty left with Mobil though. 

That surprises me some. I've been using Rotella for my diesels as long as I care to remember. I'm not advocating for the quality of one oil over the other. And I know how stupid this probably sounds- but I'm a believer in keeping with the same brand IF an engine has only had 1 brand used in it all of its life. Which is probably very unlikely.

As I stated above- the engine hasn't burned any oil in 6000 miles. The truck's not abused. But hauling heavy loads of gravel, asphalt millings, grain-etc, up and down back roads, in town, and in and out of gravel mines does cause a lot of starting and stopping type driving.

I guess I'm just being superstitious. But I'm also pretty anal about doing things like kicking my AC on to get the cooling fan engaged to help keep my coolant, oil, and exhaust temps down. And that does work. I also ALWAYS warm up my engine before working it, and cool it down before shutting it off. No matter what the outside temps are. Also, because of the dusty environments I'm working in, I've gone thru 3 air filters this season.

This truck and trailer was a huge investment for me. I saved my money for a long time to be able to buy it. I'm hoping if I pay attention to the little things, I'll get a lot of good service out of it!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Just call & ask your dealer what they have been using

I do plan on doing that.

I guess the direction I was going is if Mack has a certain brand it requires its dealers to use. I bought the truck in Texas, and it had been serviced by the same dealer in Ft. Worth its entire life. Then I brought it to Michigan last year, and had service done at the dealer in Grand Rapids. If I found that Mack only used 1 brand across the board, I was certainly going to stick with that.

On 12/3/2017 at 4:16 PM, Mack Technician said:

I'm not bias, but we had a wear show-down in early 2000's and mobil oil beat Rotella. We had to roll bearings to a tighter clearance p2 bearing (recall) on many trucks. Mobil users had less orange-peel displacement in bearings. Again, that was almost 20 years ago.......so...? 

That's very interesting. Thank you for the info.

I certainly don't have any problems using Mobil. In fact, they make a great gasoline engine oil.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:56 PM, Flat Work said:

I certainly don't have any problems using Mobil. In fact, they make a great gasoline engine oil.

Only issue we have with Mobil is at a corporate level. They are too aggressive. I compare them to the Borg on Star Trek, assimilate or die. The Mobil people establish themselves with a vendor and try to convert them over to a single line of product.....mobil. If that vendor attempts diversity of products mobil pulls. We lost three vendors in two years because of mobil doing that. The last group told me mobil decided to pull the license if that vendor was not 70% mobil in total sales by said timeline.  The local vendors are now castigated and we have to deal with a  vendor two hours away cause we have a corporate agreement to use Mobil.