a new project of mine. shop related vidio

Ezrider

was one u joint strap kit short and need to pick up a few little things Monday morning to Finnish up the last few things on this job. glad all the hard stuff is over with though. 

Edited by Ezrider
  • Like 1

its actually a can with some kind of propellant in it. normally for this type of job i would use one called "the right stuff" same type of deal this one i accidentally grabbed one called ultra black by permitex same container looks almost identical. although there used differently according to the directions. the right stuff you put it on you give it a few mins to tack up then you slam the parts together and bolt it down. and it can be put right into service. the ultra black you put it together right away but you wait to torque the bolts down. never used the ultra black before this job hopefully its good, some of this is not stuff i want to take apart again....lol but i didn't realize i grabbed the wrong can till just before i shoved the rear end in so i used it. 

Ok that stuff has never made it out to Australia 
I stopped using any of this type of stuff because someone had used it on a gear box and when it ooozed out inside the box it traveled thru out the box blocked oil galleries and stuck in the female halves of the sliding dogs 

Anyway long and the short of it is I changed to a Loctite product a purple flange sealant and we have never had another issue 

Making videos is a lot harder than most people think, or at least I find it is but just keep on plugging away at it 
There's a bloke from Canada that has been making videos for a few years and it took him a fare amount of time to get many views and I think he has 40,000   subscribers now 

just keep plugging away at it and you may be surprised were it ends up

Paul

• Like 1

thanks, yeah the video can be challenging sometimes. there has been a few that will never see the light of day.....lol. there has been a few where i just get frustrated with trying to film while working on something and just turn it off and keep working, then im missing key parts to make the vidio. another one i had the camera had just been sitting there running for like 30-40 mins on something i was working on and then the thing crashed and lost all that. then trying to put it together afterwards in a way that is still informative but moves along at a fast enough pace to keep someones attention and be somewhat entertaing is a challenge all in itself. not sure if i got that formula down yet.....lol but i think im getting better the more i do it, i watch my more recent ones and go back to my older ones and they seem worse.

big thing i need to work on as well is stop smearing grease and oil on the lenses.....lol makes the video look hazy and i don't realize it till i sit down to put it all together after its all done.....lol

yeah its been brutal here the last few days. tomorrow and Sunday is supposed to be even worse. i think tomorrow is supposed to be -15 for our high temp.

i kinda got caught with my pants down a few days ago. had not been paying attention to the weather report and got up and it was -19 according to weather dot com and when i got out the the shop and looked at the weather on my phone it stayed -23 as the air temp. wind chills were around -36 i had no block heaters plugged in on anything. it was not a fun morning. i actually made a video of that as well......lol i wasn't going to post that one here but seems how you brought it up might as well.......lol

yeah bobcat and the semi are both parked inside now that i don;t need as much room to work now that the rear end is done. till tuesday evening. im going to leave out early weds morning so ill hook up the trailer tuesday evening and nose it up to the shop door and plug it in. pickup has been plugged in every night sense that video. i took the other half to work this morning cause she has a newer nissan altima and apparently Nissan does not think block heaters are necessary in north america so you cant get one. she was worried about her car possibly not starting when she leaves work this afternoon with a HIGH TEMP of -15 foretasted for today. 

it makes a miserable day even worse when you spend hours out of your day just trying to get engines started. 

Freightrain, before I forget my friend Bob asked if I had "talked" to you online, said I hadn't. On the subject of Jack stands when I was about 8,my dad gave me the safety talk which included always use Jack stands! One dude who was leased to the same company as me had a stainless steel cap on his skull complete with little Phillips screws all around it! Had a chevelle fall on him! His brother 5'7" 160 lbs lifted it up long enough for him to crawl out! Both of them were contractors, Bob was our agent. Another buddy of mine was in a junkyard removing a brake cable trying to save less than 20.00, car fell on him,he didn't make it!

Freightrain, before I forget my friend Bob asked if I had "talked" to you online, said I hadn't. On the subject of Jack stands when I was about 8,my dad gave me the safety talk which included always use Jack stands! One dude who was leased to the same company as me had a stainless steel cap on his skull complete with little Phillips screws all around it! Had a chevelle fall on him! His brother 5'7" 160 lbs lifted it up long enough for him to crawl out! Both of them were contractors, Bob was our agent. Another buddy of mine was in a junkyard removing a brake cable trying to save less than 20.00, car fell on him,he didn't make it! Fxfymn, my next door neighbor with a two story house was trying  to get the logs started in his fireplace........With gasoline! We heard this sound like a freight train, looked over to see a three foot flame coming out of his chimney! Somehow he managed to not burn his house down!Lol as for the coke bottle deal I've heard the surgeons have a high speed drill to put a hole in the bottom to break the suction,but doesn't do anything for the embarrassment!

• Like 1

On December 28, 2017 at 8:49 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

Making videos is a lot harder than most people think, or at least I find it is but just keep on plugging away at it 
There's a bloke from Canada that has been making videos for a few years and it took him a fare amount of time to get many views and I think he has 40,000   subscribers now 

just keep plugging away at it and you may be surprised were it ends up

Paul

I commend you guys for making the videos.  I bet it does take a lot of extra time and work.  I've never attempted to put a video on youtube or even make one.  Do you get anything out of it, or is it just because you enjoy doing it?

• Like 1

I get a huge amount of enjoyment looking at my families history in photos and books slides etc

So my videos are made so that one day my maybe my son or grand kids may get a kick out of watching the Princess and I and how our lives went 

I get nothing out of them except knowing some one else maybe might learn and or get some enjoyment out of them

Life's pretty short and some of my family have made the comment that I act the fool but that's ok as long as people are laughing 

My last Grandma shifted into a nursing home the other day (she is in her 90's) and my brother found my Grandfathers log books from back when he was driving NR Macks carting logs 

Should be a good read when I get a chance 

But family history I like the most and I guess it's my way of recording mine

dunno if I answered the 

question or not 

Seeya 

Paul

• Like 2

for me part of it is, i enjoy watching stuff on youtube, i would like to contribute to adding content other people will enjoy. video is a nice thing to be able to look back on and be able to share with friends and family that you don't necessarily see often. 

also part of the reason is to try to help keep me moving forward on some projects. hasn't been very successful at doing that yet though.....lol jaguar in particular, i think its a project that could be fairly popular and if i have people asking for more video on it i have to get more things done to make more video...lol

it is also possible to make money doing it, im not to the point of making any money on it yet. but one of the goals is to generate some income from it to at least partially fund some projects. 

btw mrsmackpaul can you give me a link to that thread you have with the rebuild of your Mack and the video's of it. i found it a while back and was watching someone of them, then the other day i was going to go back to it and i could not remember where i found that thread. 

• Like 1

another one about the bobcat. finally made a heater for it. using a few common parts off the shelf parts not used as intended....lol

i also learned a new editing tricks on this one. where i separate the audio out of a cut then cut different video in so i can show something while im talking about it and then cut back into the original clip. 

• 4 weeks later...

i gotta admit this one was kinda a cop out.....lol i haven't had time to do much of any video the last few weeks and figured this would just be something i could do quickly as far as filming to get a new video out, im am surprisingly pretty happy with the end result though.