2018 Jeep Wrangler to offer optional 368-hp 4-cylinder engine

kscarbel2

Automotive News  /  October 6, 2017

The redesigned 2018 Jeep Wrangler will feature an optional turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four engine that produces 368 hp, according to documents Fiat Chrysler filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Thetruthaboutcars.com broke the story, which was picked up by posters on  Wrangler-centric website jlwranglerforums.comThe Wrangler forum site posted the document, a vehicle identification number decoder. While a new inline-four variant is listed, the VIN decoder does not identify a diesel-powered Wrangler, which could come later or may have been postponed because of FCA's ongoing issues with regulators over its diesel emissions.

The next-generation Wrangler, dubbed JL, will begin production within the next several weeks but isn't expected to show up at dealerships until after the new year. The document indicates that the redesigned Wrangler will come standard with its current 285-hp 3.6-liter V-6. Both engines will be mated to a new-to-the-Wrangler eight-speed automatic transmission to improve fuel economy.

image 3.jpg

• Like 1

I still don’t understand why you can’t get a hemi as an option in the JK’s. You can get a hellcat engine in the cherokees which are smaller than the jk’s. Be interesting to see how the turbo charged 4 banger does. I’m sure with the proper gearing it will be fun. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

10 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

I still don’t understand why you can’t get a hemi as an option in the JK’s. You can get a hellcat engine in the cherokees which are smaller than the jk’s. Be interesting to see how the turbo charged 4 banger does. I’m sure with the proper gearing it will be fun. 

AEV's JK Wrangler is available with either the 5.7L or 6.4L HEMI.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/jk-wrangler

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/shop/products/powertrain/jk-hemi-kit

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/jeep-wrangler-aev-hemi-conversion-first-drive-reviews

22 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

I am aware that people do conversions but I still think it’s odd that it isn’t a factory option. There’s an outfit in Bozeman that does the conversions but I heard it’ll set you back $30k which seems ridiculously high. 

17 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

300 plus horses in a small  tall tippy truck, what could go wrong?

Can’t be any worse than any of the Durango’s, explorers, expeditions, Yukon’s, suburbans, escapes etc etc. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

FCA rescinds 368-hp rating on 2018 Jeep Wrangler's 4-cylinder

Automotive News  /  October 11, 2017

Fiat Chrysler has rescinded the information it filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration concerning the power output of the 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 engine it plans to put in some versions of the upcoming 2018 Jeep Wrangler.

Previously, FCA had told NHTSA in a filing first noticed by thetruthaboutcars.com that the turbo four-banger would produce an astonishing 368 hp. But after that information became public, FCA this week refiled its notice with NHTSA, removing the 368-hp rating and changing it to "NR" (not rated). The website gets credit as well for noticing the update.

Was the 368-hp rating an early leak, a typographical error, or just a big whoops?

FCA declined to comment on the change.

However, a 368-hp I-4 would be right near the current peak of the all-important power-rating-per-liter of displacement that global automakers have been able to pull from their 2.0-liter engines. Such an engine would be counterintuitive in a heavy, boxy vehicle like the Wrangler, which has previously thrived on the low-end torque available from its current 285-hp 3.6-liter V-6.

Production of the JL Wrangler is scheduled to begin in November on a newly built line at FCA's Toledo Assembly Complex in Ohio.