How Much Should A Decent Paint Job Cost?

Guest B81SX

I realize the price is dependent on many factors. However, can somebody give me a fair idea of what it should cost to strip a tandem B model tractor (glass, seats, chrome etc.), sandblast the frame and rims, do some minimal body work, paint the inside and put it back together (including the headliner)?

I just had my B61 painted, the cab is on the frame and the truck was movable, (ran) but all the fenders, hood, panels, chrome were off the truck...I already had all the body work done as far as primed and spot putty. My friend owns the body shop, he masked off and painted it mack red, then did all the panels separate...it cost me $500, I furnished all the materials, and I feel I got a really good deal.... If you want the frame blasted, that is probably in the neighborhood of $500 dollars just for the blast job. The painting and body work will be on top of that...hope this gives you an idea.. it ain't cheap.

• 4 weeks later...
sounds like $3500 or more..a car paint job costs thats and truck is more work.. seems liek you need to start painting yourself or become buddies with a body man...

thanks

Deo

Deo,

Seems like you like to spend time posting silly responses. I think your time would be better spent taking a basic writing course. Or maybe you can become buddies with a third grader. With a little work, they should be able to teach you how to spell "like."

I realize the price is dependent on many factors.  However, can somebody give me a fair idea of what it should cost to strip a tandem B model tractor (glass, seats, chrome etc.), sandblast the frame and rims, do some minimal body work, paint the inside and put it back together (including the headliner)?

Hi there, I've bid restoring a B61S to much the same specification that you line out @ $7500.00 to include dissassembly, stipping, blasting (media,sand, and soda), paint and materials (solid color basecoat/clearcoat), reassembly, plus any replacement parts or sublet labor. The cab will be removed from the frame, and the cab and doors gutted. I did not see any rust through during inspection and any repair would be additional. The truck is scheduled to come into work on the 9th of January 2006.

Hope this gives you some idea of the costs involved. As you can ascertain, it is not inexpensive to hire the work done.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi there, I've bid restoring a B61S to much the same specification that you line out @ $7500.00 to include dissassembly, stipping, blasting (media,sand, and soda), paint and materials (solid color basecoat/clearcoat), reassembly, plus any replacement parts or sublet labor. The cab will be removed from the frame, and the cab and doors gutted.  I did not see any rust through during inspection and any repair would be additional. The truck is scheduled to come into work on the 9th of January 2006.

Hope this gives you some idea of the costs involved. As you can ascertain, it is not inexpensive to hire the work done.

Rob

Thanks Rob. Your reply was just what I was looking for. I appreciate it.

B81sx, Beside the mis-spelling of "Like", what was so silly of my response? I said it would probably be $3500 or more to do what he wanted, and it would be cheaper to do it yourself or have a friend at a body shop help him. Thats how I do 99% of my work. If I don't know how to do it, I read about it, try it myself, or have a friend who does it help me out. I could not afford do do anything, if I had to pay a mechanic to fix or build my cars or trucks. I was not trying to be a smart ass or what ever you thought I was being. Sorry if I offended you by spelling like wrong. I have dyslexia and if I type fast and don't proof read it, I end up with some errors. I spell the as teh, like as liek, and others wrong. You get the picture etc, its not that big of a deal. These forums and email are not forum paper writing documents and I don't type as if they were. I normally type as if the post was a conversation, not a letter. I was just trying to help another truck guy out. Thats what the forum is all about.

Sorry again, I will try and re read my post and correct my spelling before posting in the future.

Thanks

Deo

Keep on keeping on...

B81sx, Beside the mis-spelling of  "Like", what was so silly of my response? I said it would probably be $3500 or more to do what he wanted, and it would be cheaper to do it yourself or have a friend at a body shop help him. Thats how I do 99% of my work. If I don't know how to do it, I read about it, try it myself, or have a friend who does it help me out. I could not afford do do anything,  if I had to pay a mechanic to fix or build my cars or trucks. I was not trying to be a smart ass or what ever you thought I was being. Sorry if I offended you by spelling like  wrong. I have dyslexia and if I type fast and don't proof read it, I end up with some errors. I spell the as teh, like as liek, and others wrong. You get the picture etc, its not that big of a deal. These forums and email are not forum paper writing documents and I don't type as if they were. I normally type as if the post was a conversation, not a letter. I was just trying to help another truck guy out. Thats what the forum is all about.

Sorry again, I will try and re read my post and correct my spelling before  posting in the future.

Thanks

Deo

Well, for starters, you did not answer the question. "Sounds like $3,500 or more" is not helpful -- especially when you do not provide a basis for your statement. Combining an unhelpful answer with a sarcastic comment does not help either. Finally, if you are going to take the time to post an unhelpful and sarcastic response, at least try and form complete sentences. Since you appear to have problems, I will not belabor the point.

Good luck with your projects. I hope putting that V12 Detroit in your B81 works out for you.

B81sx, Beside the mis-spelling of  "Like", what was so silly of my response? I said it would probably be $3500 or more to do what he wanted, and it would be cheaper to do it yourself or have a friend at a body shop help him. Thats how I do 99% of my work. If I don't know how to do it, I read about it, try it myself, or have a friend who does it help me out. I could not afford do do anything,  if I had to pay a mechanic to fix or build my cars or trucks. I was not trying to be a smart ass or what ever you thought I was being. Sorry if I offended you by spelling like  wrong. I have dyslexia and if I type fast and don't proof read it, I end up with some errors. I spell the as teh, like as liek, and others wrong. You get the picture etc, its not that big of a deal. These forums and email are not forum paper writing documents and I don't type as if they were. I normally type as if the post was a conversation, not a letter. I was just trying to help another truck guy out. Thats what the forum is all about.

Sorry again, I will try and re read my post and correct my spelling before  posting in the future.

Thanks

Deo

Well said Deo. If you spend even a small amount of time looking around BMT, you'll see that it is rife with all sorts of absurd spelling and grammatical errors but virtually all the members and guests here understand that the point of this fine site is to exchange information and ideas, and not for the petty critisism of spelling errors so don't let some mook with a hair up give you a hard time......and that is probably a run-on sentance(sp?) Rick

Well said Deo. If you spend even a small amount of time looking around BMT, you'll see that it is rife with all sorts of absurd spelling and grammatical errors but virtually all the members and guests here understand that the point of this fine site is to exchange information and ideas, and not for the petty critisism of spelling errors so don't let some mook with a hair up give you a hard time......and that is probably a run-on sentance(sp?) Rick

You missed the point. When someone asks a question, you should either try to help them or keep your thoughts to yourself. You don't make sarcastic comments and you don't call them names. If you need help comprehending that concept, let me know.

You missed the point.  When someone asks a question, you should either try to help them or keep your thoughts to yourself.  You don't make sarcastic comments and you don't call them names.  If you need help comprehending that concept, let me know.

You, sir, I believe to be a hypocrite. If you would take the time to refer to the response from Deo and then examine the remarks that you made regarding said response, you would find yourself behaving in a manner that you are currently railing against: I quote" Seems like you spend your time posting silly responses....your time would be better spent taking a basic writing course....become buddies with a third grader, with a little work they should be able to teach you how to spell "like". To me it would appear that he (Deo) based his response on his own personal experience and was endevoring to share that with you and while doing so introduce a certain amount of levity to his response. I missed the point? No sir, I think you did and I for one applaud Deo for his forthright reply, Rick

You, sir, I believe to be a hypocrite. If you would take the time to refer to the response from Deo and then examine the remarks that you made regarding said response, you would find yourself behaving in a manner that you are currently railing against: I quote" Seems like you spend your time posting silly responses....your time would be better spent taking a basic writing course....become buddies with a third grader, with a little work they should be able to teach you how to spell "like". To me it would appear that he (Deo) based his response on his own personal experience and was endevoring to share that with you and while doing so introduce a certain amount of levity to his response. I missed the point? No sir, I think you did and I for one applaud Deo for his forthright reply, Rick

And you are a waste of time. I hope you and Deo have a beautiful life together.

B81SX,

Whoa there feller. I think you mis-understood me some how...... I don't see what was sarcastic in my response. Again, I don't want to upset any one here. This a forum to help others. Your response was more informative with specifics on price and work that you do. I was basing my post, on my experience. The last Big Truck I painted was for one of my old jobs, and that took 3 weeks, Including sandblasting the dump body. Lots of work. My friends body shop has told me a cheap auto or car paint job is around $4000. That is where my $3500 or more price came from. The part where I said it may be better to befriend a body shop guy was not supposed to sound sacastic. That is how I do things myself. I horse trade, or barter with friends, and network - to get what I need accomplished. I wish I made more $, as I bet most people do. I for one don't make a enough $ and even buying a truck to restore is a major purchase, let alone buying the parts to fix it up with. I end up doing a few after work loads, or helping on my days off, greasing etc ....just to be able to borrow a Tractor & Lowbed to bring my truck home. My experience has been if I help others out and do them favors, they will help me out, and do me favors..only way I can do it. NYS does not pay me enough.

Again, that is where i was coming from, and I'm genuinely sorry that You thought my post was evil natured or sarcastic.

Thank You,

Merry Christmas

Deo

Keep on keeping on...

I have to add my two cents. I agree with Deo....all day long!

Gee, I wonder if B81SX is a "check book" builder? You know the type.. he picks out the color and seat material and then tells everyone he "built" the truck. "check book" builders are the reason I got out of Hot Rods. They don't get their hands dirty and try to tell you how to build your truck or at least tell you whats wrong with it.

Jim

Ah fellas, you need to pull your heads in. This forum is for lovers of Macks, old trucks and trucking not for hurling abuse just because you don't agree with someone.

If you're on here, you love old Macks, something you share with many people who love to talk about them. Keep your conversations to constructive comment/advice on this subject and everyone is happy to read those comments, otherwise it takes the enjoyment out of it. Any negative personal comments towards fellow members should be done away from this forum, if they need to be done at all.

We love Macks. We love this site. Let's keep it that way.

Cheers

Andy :mack1:

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

I have to add my two cents.  I agree with Deo....all day long!

Gee, I wonder if B81SX is a "check book" builder?  You know the type.. he picks out the color and seat material and then tells everyone he "built" the truck.  "check book" builders are the reason I got out of Hot Rods.  They don't get their hands dirty and try to tell you how to build your truck or at least  tell you whats wrong with it.

Jim

Thanks for boring us with your story about how you apparently felt too good for some members of the Hot Rod community. Gee, I wonder if you are one of the "know-it all" whiners? You know the type -- runs his mouth without knowing any of the facts and complains if everyone does not see things the way he does.

I'm not sure, but I would guess that B81SX is not taking his medication. There is no need for this hostility. Why can't you let people express their views without being critical their punctuation or grammar. If you have a problem with Deo, or anyone else on this board, this message board is not the place to discuss them.

I enjoy this message board and rarely post any messages. This board was developed for the free flow of ideas and personal experiences. This board was not designed for personal attacks on any group member.

I would hope that if this is the course of action that you intend to pursue that Barry will step in a give you the same treatment as SgtMack5. I believe it would not be that difficult to petition for your expulsion from Bigmacktrucks.