Shutterstat leaking

Found an air leak on my shutterstat valve where the rod comes out. Got a 61' G model with an NH250 Cummins. What seals the air inside the cylinder? There are 2 rubber type plungers that are inside the cylinder and a smaller rubber dome shaped piece towards the top where the shaft comes out of the cylinder. Is the smaller one towards the top where it seals? It doesn't fit snug around the shaft. Has anyone rebuilt one of these with parts from a local parts store? If so what did you use? I would upload a pic but my images always fail to upload. The new format on this site is terrible, at least for me to use. The old site was a lot more user friendly for us technology inept. Thanks in advance. 

On 7/3/2017 at 1:07 AM, Tony Ingram said:

Found an air leak on my shutterstat valve where the rod comes out. Got a 61' G model with an NH250 Cummins. What seals the air inside the cylinder? There are 2 rubber type plungers that are inside the cylinder and a smaller rubber dome shaped piece towards the top where the shaft comes out of the cylinder. Is the smaller one towards the top where it seals? It doesn't fit snug around the shaft. Has anyone rebuilt one of these with parts from a local parts store? If so what did you use? I would upload a pic but my images always fail to upload. The new format on this site is terrible, at least for me to use. The old site was a lot more user friendly for us technology inept. Thanks in advance. 

Regarding your photo uploads, have you tried dragging your pics to the box under your post? It works great on Firefox.

Just rebuilt mine last winter.  The only real seal needed is the cup seal on the piston.  The rod has no air seal because the cup seal does all the work.  I think mine had some kind of felt wiper?  Or maybe it was rubber?

I did have to punch a hole in the new cup seal(can't order it with hole).  No big deal.  Works great and doesnt leak a bit now.  It used to constantly hiss.  It now snaps shut/open with force instead of draining my air supply trying.

I ordered it from Baum and got in a couple days.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"