Pictures of the Week

other dog

• 2 weeks later...

OD where'd you load in the "burg"? The onions made me think to ask you flatbedders to relate the worst or "slipperyest" loads you've ever hauled! I've got three! I loaded plastic pipe in coils next to the old TA in Knoxville Tn going to upstate New York, tied it down with crossed 2" straps about every hundred mile, I had to retie the whole load!,was rolled vertically on the wagon! The first time I hauled bundles of plastic pvc pipe nobody told me you have to tie down each bundle separately! They were double stacked so naturally about an hour down the road they were about a foot off to one side! So I talked a dude in a dry van to back up against them and push them back into place! Then I threaded the straps between the lower and upper bundles to tie down the lower bundles! My partner and I picked up a load of used foodservice equipment in the central valley going to somewhere in Indiana,was all raggedy stainless steel,of course it had to be tarped! We spent about a half hour taping cardboard around the sharp edges! When we got to the receiver our three month old tarps were in shreds!😁  Got one more, but this one's scary! When I was hauling steel, I picked up a 35000' single coil in Homestead Pa going to Indianapolis. The rule of thumb, is one chain for every 10000' My chains were welded to the trailer so I could only reach the coil with three! So I reluctantly tarped it and went to leave and saw a loose chain under the seat that I had forgotten! What to do? Well I untarped and put the 4th chain over the top! This was before nylon straps! 1974, so the next morning I'm going thru Columbus Oh on I 70 in rush hour, and some stroke pulls out in front of me and I had to " lock it up!" I felt something move and looked in the mirror and that tarp looked awfully tight! So I pulled in a rest area and one of the cross chains had broken and the coil slid almost two feet forward and was sitting crooked! I believe that 4th chain saved my life!

• Like 1

On 6/14/2017 at 9:39 PM, BillyT said:

OD where'd you load in the "burg"? The onions made me think to ask you flatbedders to relate the worst or "slipperyest" loads you've ever hauled! I've got three! I loaded plastic pipe in coils next to the old TA in Knoxville Tn going to upstate New York, tied it down with crossed 2" straps about every hundred mile, I had to retie the whole load!,was rolled vertically on the wagon! The first time I hauled bundles of plastic pvc pipe nobody told me you have to tie down each bundle separately! They were double stacked so naturally about an hour down the road they were about a foot off to one side! So I talked a dude in a dry van to back up against them and push them back into place! Then I threaded the straps between the lower and upper bundles to tie down the lower bundles! My partner and I picked up a load of used foodservice equipment in the central valley going to somewhere in Indiana,was all raggedy stainless steel,of course it had to be tarped! We spent about a half hour taping cardboard around the sharp edges! When we got to the receiver our three month old tarps were in shreds!😁  Got one more, but this one's scary! When I was hauling steel, I picked up a 35000' single coil in Homestead Pa going to Indianapolis. The rule of thumb, is one chain for every 10000' My chains were welded to the trailer so I could only reach the coil with three! So I reluctantly tarped it and went to leave and saw a loose chain under the seat that I had forgotten! What to do? Well I untarped and put the 4th chain over the top! This was before nylon straps! 1974, so the next morning I'm going thru Columbus Oh on I 70 in rush hour, and some stroke pulls out in front of me and I had to " lock it up!" I felt something move and looked in the mirror and that tarp looked awfully tight! So I pulled in a rest area and one of the cross chains had broken and the coil slid almost two feet forward and was sitting crooked! I believe that 4th chain saved my life!

I delivered there, actually at  Neville Island, but the address is Pittsburgh. Oddly enough, we used to load plastic pipe- uhhh, pipes- in Binghamton, N.Y. and take it to Colfax, N.C. I have also loaded those coiled plastic pipes in Knoxville, it was yellow, i'd guarantee it was at the same place!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.