Freightliner conventionals getting scrapped, Mack CHs and Rs doggedly soldier on!

Driving back to MN from FL did a bit of a survey to pass the miles... How many of the old Freightliner FLD conventionals are left? The FLD was obsoleted by the Century in the late 90s but remained in production through 2006. I saw few of these only 10+ year old Freighliners, apparently 10 years is still all you can expect to get out of a Freightliner cab. The Mack conventionals can be dated by the changes like the drop down windows and the CX's droop snout which became available and common in the 2000-2003 range, though a few CHs are still built. While 10+ year old Freightshakers are becoming rare, I saw too many 10+ year old CHs and even older R models than I could count... A tribute to the good folks at Mack who designed and built them!

I think that depends on which side of the U.S. your on. There are lots of 20 year old FLD and FLC Freightliners running around the west coast. Mack dealers are few compared to Pete, KW and Freightliner out west. The main buyers of Mack out here are city and county and they use to mainly buy Ford LN series.

Truck Shop

• Like 1

One ping only

Today's Mack is not the product that we connect the name with from 20-25 years ago. It has become a disposable truck, alike the Freightliner you speak of. With a European thought process, Volvo doesn't want you to attempt to keep the truck more than five years.

• Like 1

Big fleets around here buy freightliners for 2 reasons. They're cheap, and they're cheap. They keep them for 5 years and trade them on some more cheap ones. 

I drove an Argosy once. It was only 12 months old but all the cupboard doors were broke and kept opening up.