B-81 starter update

I just hit my local starter shop years back and bought a 12v starter.   Don't have part numbers, but it should not be hard to get the right starter and electrical for it.

I used a standard Ford solenoid mounted where the original s/p switch was at.  I used my existing starter wire to kick that solenoid to engage the starter.  Has worked flawless for 14 yrs.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Going with a set of 900 to 1100 CCA 12 volt batteries and a choice of a standard 12 volt starter or a 12 volt reduction starter there is absolutely no need for a series / parallel switch. Wire in the pair of batteries in Parallel. You are doubling the capacity (amp hours) of the battery while maintaining the voltage of one of the individual batteries.  Use a jumper wire between the positives of both batteries and another jumper wire between the negatives of both batteries. Connect your positive and negative wires to the same battery to run to your unit.

Follow Freightrain (Larry's ) advise on the solenoid.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Probably should mention if converting a starting system from the 12/24VDC series parallel system to a straight 12VDC starting system, you need a "counterclockwise" rotation starter, (CCW). They will be available in both CCW, and CW rotation but if the starter mounts on the lower right side of the engine, (facing the flywheel from the rear) the starter rotation needed is CCW. If the starter mounts to the lower left side of the engine, (facing the flywheel from the rear) the starter needs to be CW rotation. Both scenarios are for an engine that normally rotates to the left when running, a.k.a. standard rotation.

Normally I would just state driver's and passenger sides of the truck but we do have Aussie friends on the board so will be more "correct" in analogy as per "Momma's" suggestions, or more rightly yet, "threats of bodily harm" if I don't straighten up. 

Mack engines only use an 11 tooth starter drive gear no matter the clutch size I've seen through the years on the B, and R model series. 

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 weeks later...