Issues With My 1st Mack

I just bought my 1st Mack. '04 CX 613. AC 427. 343,000 miles. Oil field truck from Texas. I gave what I think is a good price. I figured whatever I bought used, was going to need some maintenance. So I also set aside money for it in my budget.

I took it to the Mack/Volvo dealer last week and had them go over it from bow to stern. They found a few things, which I'll address each one specifically. But I'll start with the turbo. The truck was throwing a code for a seized VGT. I haven't put the truck to work yet. I bobtailed it 1200 miles to where I live in Michigan. And I was actually very impressed with just how little turbo lag the engine had. So I was surprised to hear that there's an issue with it. I also got some of the maintenance records with it. And the turbo had been replaced in '07 while under warranty. It had an exhaust leak, too. I'm having the exhaust leak fixed with other things. But I plan on doing the turbo myself. The truck will likely not be put to work until towards spring. But if I find this vgt to be stuck in "sweet spot" and working fine, will I hurt anything by not replacing it? The best prices I can find for a replacement turbo is $2800.00 for a new one. And $2100.00 for a factory Borg Warner rebuilt

I'm also having the wiring harness replaced. The coolant sensor is leaking, and the harness is absorbing the coolant, and working its way to the computer. One engine mount is bad, and being replaced. Plus, I'm having them do a valve adjustment. Clutch, clutch brake, and brake adjustments. As well all new fluids, oils, filters and thermostats. And they're waiting to hear back from Mack if this engine can have the software upgraded to the AC 460 version.

The power steering gearbox has a leak on the frame side seal. I need to find some info on that. The dealer's solution is to just replace the $2000.00 gearbox. Myself, I would just like to replace a seal.

Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated.

I install lots of seal kits in steering boxes. Its not hard. The sector shaft ( out put shaft) seals go out after time due to no power steering coolers. High heat kills the seals. While they have the valve cover off. Have them replace the rocker arm hold down bolts if you have the Powerleash engine brake. They stretch and brake and wipe out the camshaft and roller lifters. Seen it happen many many times. The new upgraded bolts solve this problem. 

1 hour ago, james j neiweem said:

If your turbo boost increases with throttle position(engine load) your turbo is probably working ok.

I don't have a boost gauge to measure it accurately. But I've owned turbocharged engines all my life. Not to mention tractors on the farm.  There's no doubt it spooling up in sync with the throttle. Like I said, even though I'm bob-tailing, I was impressed with how little turbo-lag there actually is. Of course, putting a load on top of it will tell the tale. That won't happen until spring.

Out of curiosity where in Michigan are you located and which dealer is working with you? Im in MI too and have an 09 cxu with an mp8. 3k miles on it since purchase and dealer is telling me like 8 grand in repairs for a "miss". I could live with it if the teuck didn't come from them. :angry:

13 hours ago, thundervalley said:

Out of curiosity where in Michigan are you located and which dealer is working with you? Im in MI too and have an 09 cxu with an mp8. 3k miles on it since purchase and dealer is telling me like 8 grand in repairs for a "miss". I could live with it if the teuck didn't come from them. :angry:

Mine is in Grand Rapids too. I went over each and every item on the estimate. There were a few things that they "just replace" when they're doing a specific job. Make them tell you exactly what they're doing, and why each part is needed. I also had them walk me around the truck and show me everything they said needed replacing.

I had a bad motor mount, and in their estimate, it included replacing the fan because it had minor wear where it had been rubbing. After I questioned it- it turned out it didn't need a new fan after all.

Another example- the truck was making no heat. In their estimate, because the valves had been turned off to the bunk's heater core, they included replacing the core because "they just do it". Turns out the core is fine, and the thermostats were stuck open.

I've got a couple others. But you get the idea. Know what they're doing and why. I also told them, as required by MI law, that I want to inspect each major part they replace, so I can see for myself.