673 centering dowels

beatngu

Well I ran into another silly roadblock. My heads have these brass inserts to center them on the deck, one head was lacking them and it needs the special washers for the larger corner studs. Would anybody happen to know where to get these? I tried searching the forum but turned up nothing. Good news, plowing OT is on the way and I have a stack on the old girl now.

50 minutes ago, beatngu said:

Well I ran into another silly roadblock. My heads have these brass inserts to center them on the deck, one head was lacking them and it needs the special washers for the larger corner studs. Would anybody happen to know where to get these? I tried searching the forum but turned up nothing. Good news, plowing OT is on the way and I have a stack on the old girl now.

Have you called Watts Truck Center? They are the B Model people. Call Parts Dept. they are open Saturday 6 a.m. to Noon. Phone # 1-888-304-6225. They can help.

There is Jobbersinc.com phone # 215-236-8500 they know the 673 engines also.

Oldmacks.com Dennis has a wealth of knowledge about these engines also.

Some of these guys on this site may chime in and give you some leads to.

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

I don't know if Watts has the washers but I do know they are hardened steel. The cylinder head locating dowels are easily made from brass rod on a lathe if all else fails.Mike up the diameter. You may even be able to find them the correct diameter and only need to cut the length.    Paul. 

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, terry said:

i always thought the dowels were steel, would't brass ones deform if you dropped head on a little hard?    terry

They are a brass alloy called High Brass. It is 65% copper,35% zinc and is a hard, high tensile alloy used for screws, rivet, dowel pins and springs.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

43 minutes ago, beatngu said:

I am having washer/bushings made for the corner studs anybody have a suggestion on type of metal to use?

The OEM washers are hardened steel, Might be best to use 4130 Moly steel.   Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Here's a link also Manley and ARP make Hardened Head Bolt washers ( a speed shop would have them most likely) and probably the ID /OD you need.    Paul

http://headbolts.com/arp-apw1316-apw1316-cylinder-head-washer

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 3 weeks later...

Guys I've always found B model head bolt washers and that type parts at Fastenal, Motion Industries,  or similar supply companies.

Moseley machine shop in Houston probably has any insert you might need.  Gary was rebuilding Mack heads when Hitler was a corporal.

I found it was way easier to go get  new head nuts and washers than have to pull the oil pan to fetch the originals back.