What Australian truck drivers passing thru Toowoomba put up with

kscarbel2

That last one with the guy talking? If the bone-head behind me can't wait until it's clear to pass, THEY can make the decision between taking the ditch or the head-on. The way I figure, it ain't MY problem. ME putting MY truck in the ditch to allow YOU an out just isn't going to happen. I'm not programmed to think that way, and my self preservation instinct simply blocks that as a possible solution to YOUR predicament. In other words, the thought of me leaving my lane would never cross my mind in that scenario.

Pretty much looks like dash cam videos from anywhere in the world where cars and trucks try to share the road...nothing too special about the location. Hell, this happened 30 minutes from my house when a kid on his way to high school pulled away from a stop sign on a gravel side road into the side of my trailer tires as I went by @ 55 mph. People just don't pay much attention to what they are doing behind the wheel.

IMG_00000278.jpg

IMG_00000291.jpg

IMG_00000284.jpg

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

2 hours ago, RowdyRebel said:

If the bone-head behind me can't wait until it's clear to pass, THEY can make the decision between taking the ditch or the head-on. The way I figure, it ain't MY problem. ME putting MY truck in the ditch to allow YOU an out just isn't going to happen.

Whilst I understand what you are saying one thing I have learnt in life is I gotta live with my decisions and a lot of the time it doesn't really matter if I'm wrong or right. What really matters to me is if I could have done something, but as they say "we are all different". 

Could I live with myself by allowing someone to be killed just because I wasn't gonna put myself off the road to save them?? Dunno. A big call and one I hope I never have to make.

Paul 

I was about 5 seconds away from having my own video a few weeks ago as a bright spark decided to do a U turn in front of me. 

I've noticed that some people drive with blinkers (as in eye covers) on and aren't aware of anything else around them. 

Glad im not involved in any of them. 

I look at it this way: I have a responsibility to my family to not only return home at the end of the run, but to also continue to provide for them...roof over their head, food on their plate, and clothes on their back. I can't do that if I'm upside down in a ditch. I can't do that if I'm hurt or killed. I can't do that if my truck is wrecked or nobody will hire me because I ran my truck off the road intentionally wrecking myself in order to avoid having to watch the knuckleheads in the lane next to me wreck.

Can I live with knowing I might have been able to sacrifice MY life and/or MY livelihood to spare someone with a severe case of head-up-the-ass-itis from killing themselves? Yes. And that's MUCH BETTER in my opinion than NOT living long enough to pat myself on the back for sparing them from themselves.

How would your family feel about an officer showing up at the door notifying them you weren't coming home? Would THEY sleep better at night knowing you committed suicide in order to provide an "out" to an impatient driver who insisted upon passing you in the face of oncoming traffic? That's IF anybody who saw what happened actually stopped to bear witness to the event. (Don't count on it). The story your family might be fed was that you fell asleep at the wheel and ran it off the road. Will they sleep well at night after hearing that?

I don't care to put my family in that position, so I'll gladly hold my lane and let the 2 cars duke it out beside me.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

7 hours ago, RowdyRebel said:

I look at it this way: I have a responsibility to my family to not only return home at the end of the run, but to also continue to provide for them...roof over their head, food on their plate, and clothes on their back. I can't do that if I'm upside down in a ditch. I can't do that if I'm hurt or killed. I can't do that if my truck is wrecked or nobody will hire me because I ran my truck off the road intentionally wrecking myself in order to avoid having to watch the knuckleheads in the lane next to me wreck.

Can I live with knowing I might have been able to sacrifice MY life and/or MY livelihood to spare someone with a severe case of head-up-the-ass-itis from killing themselves? Yes. And that's MUCH BETTER in my opinion than NOT living long enough to pat myself on the back for sparing them from themselves.

How would your family feel about an officer showing up at the door notifying them you weren't coming home? Would THEY sleep better at night knowing you committed suicide in order to provide an "out" to an impatient driver who insisted upon passing you in the face of oncoming traffic? That's IF anybody who saw what happened actually stopped to bear witness to the event. (Don't count on it). The story your family might be fed was that you fell asleep at the wheel and ran it off the road. Will they sleep well at night after hearing that?

I don't care to put my family in that position, so I'll gladly hold my lane and let the 2 cars duke it out beside me.

Like all things in life, that's your call and as long as your fine with it, that is all that really matters, and as long as I'm happy with my call, that's all that really matters to me.

As to me, falling off the perch to save some fruit loop and how my family will feel about it. Well, I won't be around to worry about it.

Dunno. Like most things in life, the answers aren't that simple.

Paul

• Like 2

And I guess a bit more. If it was your wife, son, daughter or whomever, would you prefer someone to swerve out of the way to help them survive a mistake and save their lives or just go "stuff im in a big truck? I'm in the right and I'm not shifting. Should have thought about killing yourself before you tried to overtake " 

To me it's a no brainer. I know what I would try and do, and that would appear to be a big difference between the US and Australia.

Just saying you may be right, but as I have said, being right isn't always the best option.

Paul

• Like 2