Replacing a bottom main leaf

Mcrafty1

Like the title says, I have a broken bottom main leaf on my 44,000lb rear spring. I replaced everything BUT springs including the trunnion stand last fall just before I shut down for the winter. I have a single replacement leaf and am going to change it out my question is ...has anyone else done this before and what is the success rate of the new leaf working well with the 10 others above it? I'm going to give it a try regardless, the general consensus on changing the complete spring is that both need to be done together because of the axle alignment issues (i'm hoping just the bottom leaf won't throw things that far out of alignment). I'm going this route this once because of the parts difference ($166.00 for a replacement leaf vs $1450.00 for two springs) it's a calculated risk at this point. The gripes were new when I done the past work and I'm going to try reusing them on this move. I replaced a leaf on the other side (4th from the bottom) twelve years ago with a used leaf and that is still in the spring today. But I realize that wasn't a main leaf.

Thanks, I'll be sure and do that.....and what do you torque the gripes at? I've heard everywhere between 1100lbs. to 1600lbs? I don't remember what we did on the spring we repaired years ago....but the 1100 seems to be in my mind, but that's a far cry from the 1600 I've heard recently.