Rear springs

66rmack

I don't know what the proper Mack # is for it,but I've always heard it called the 3 spring Taperleaf suspension. Dad had an early version of it on his '80 Cruiseliner,they used 4 large bolts instead of U bolts,kept breaking the washers under the head of the bolts. Lightweight and rode better than our camelbacks .

Thank you good sir's. So it might be best to leave it there on a truck that is more play than work. The trunion is cracked and the boss got a cut off with a hd one and 44k camelbacks. We were going to just swap the whole set up onto this truck but if the taperleaf is a better ride then we might just swap the trunion and reuse the taperleaf.

15 minutes ago, 66rmack said:

Thank you good sir's. So it might be best to leave it there on a truck that is more play than work. The trunion is cracked and the boss got a cut off with a hd one and 44k camelbacks. We were going to just swap the whole set up onto this truck but if the taperleaf is a better ride then we might just swap the trunion and reuse the taperleaf.

Is the truck a work or play truck? I have seen alot of trunnions welded or plated to repair them.

10 hours ago, blackdog2 said:

We had bad experience with them so did other gas company's with  broken leafs Amoco had a spring brake and catapult the truck over with trailer and alignment problems with eccentric anchor pins we kept them on T.B.A trailers .

Maybe we will just swap it over to the trusty camelbacks and not worry about the taperleaf. With a air ride cab the ride shouldn't be too bad?

11 hours ago, terry said:

A 44.000 camelback is going to be ALOT rougher ride than that taperleaf.   terry

For the miles the truck will see, ride prob isn't a big deal. The truck is in the works to be a parade/back up hauler only for when he goes out. I would just hate to have problems with the taper leaf.