1946 Chevy

HeavyGunner

On August 8, 2016 at 7:38 AM, HeavyGunner said:

I went to pickup my sawmill from this out fit that makes them and spied this sweet '46 Chevy. It sports a 453 Detroit nonturboed engine backed by a 5sp with a 3sp brownie. The guy who built this truck in his yard told me the truck is no powerhouse or speed demon but unloaded gets around 30mpg!  Any one else have any experience with a little Detroit and great mileage?  I may have to build one if it really gets that kind of mileage (empty of course). 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Those 53 series engines are tough; worked on a bunch of them back in the day; but they are loud!!! The blower on the 3,4,&6 are just 2 veins; lot louder than the 3 vein on 71, 92; was told that 8v-53 had 3 vein rotor; don't know that; never saw 1 or worked on 1 in person

• Like 1

He probably gets decent mileage but I doubt that 30mpg claim. Those old 2-strokes aren't known for being particularly economical on fuel.

It probably makes up on fuel savings with oil consumption and leaks. Just kidding but we all know those old Detroits like to leak. 

Ive heard if you install the seals properly on a 2cycle Detroit's pushrod tubes you can control oil leakage,Don't know. A couple of my hotshot buddies ran the1st pre emissions dodge turbo Cummins,were getting 20mpg pulling a 48 ft flatbed with. 8000lbs of insulation,across I 80 in oh and pa. But the 1ton Dodges didn't hold up. They had trouble with the getrag five speed, and the injector pumps. Most went to two ton and class 8single axles. I really like the46 Chevy with the 453. Also the two stick tranny lots  of fun!