New truck

23 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

Coronado is a fairly stylish traditional looking truck. The only complaint I had about cascadias is the interiors (if memory serves me correctly) had no screws holding things together and after many hard off-road miles things in the interior started loosening up and rattling with no way to tighten them back up. Just for full disclosure the years of the model I'm thinking of was around 08-10 I believe and I understand our company uses the hell out of our fleet off road. 

122sd is a good looking truck

A new truck is often a million mile decade long investment that will consume over a million dollars in fuel, repairs, labor,etc.... Thus a few thousand $$$ saved on initial price is often not a    savings in the long run.

When I was in trade school, circa 1989, I remember an instructor telling me a truck should last 20-30 years with proper maintenance, and every component is rebuildable, so really useful life of a truck is infinite, as long as parts are available. Each to his own, but I wouldn't buy anything newer than 2001 nowadays. Keep fixing what you already have. You're either going to make a payment or pay for repairs and maintenance. Either way, you don't get to keep the money. Yes, a new truck has warranty, but downtime is killer, and the bank still wants the payment every month, whether the truck worked or not. With an old truck, I can afford a week off, fix it myself, and drink beer while I'm working!

• Like 1

buy the mack it is still the best truck made and by far the easits to work on as of the new trucks go there is a company here that bought 4 of those freightliners that no bodys having any trouble with thouse wounderful detroits  there a 18 months old and are being traded on macks better service and not in the shop twice a week   that being said if you have a old truck and are able to rebuild it do it           ps.....   ks.......  when theres any thing better than a mack made mack will mace it

• Like 1

If you like the 122SD, there are plenty of mega dealers selling both Mack and Freightliner. And they have nothing but good things to say about the Daimler organization (unlike what they have to say about Volvo/Mack).

The Cascadia is a cutting edge truck. However, it's not the ideal fit for your described application and personal preferences.

I don't care for the direction Kenworth has gone.

With Peterbilt, as much as I despise the new-school 567, I think the world of the old school 367. Again, if anyone has time, make a point to tour Peterbilt's Denton plant. When you watch them build a 367, you will be pleasantly surprised to see a truckmaker still builds trucks "like they used to". It can still be spec'd to be a 20 year truck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A word about the Cascadia:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick look at the 122SD

28 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

If you like the 122SD, there are plenty of mega dealers selling both Mack and Freightliner. And they have nothing but good things to say about the Daimler organization (unlike what they have to say about Volvo/Mack).

The Cascadia is a cutting edge truck. However, it's not the ideal fit for your described application and personal preferences.

I don't care for the direction Kenworth has gone.

With Peterbilt, as much as I despise the new-school 567, I think the world of the old school 367. Again, if anyone has time, make a point to tour Peterbilt's Denton plant. When you watch them build a 367, you will be pleasantly surprised to see a truckmaker still builds trucks "like they used to". It can still be spec'd to be a 20 year truck.

I asked about 367 & 567 most of the guys went to 567; I really can't tell much difference but didn't look that hard at them; really think they are going to be out of my price range

if you know any names of Mack freightliner dealers would appreciate them

The 567 has the new cheap cab (cheaper for Paccar to build) that is shared with Kenworth. 

The new range trucks, which are cheaper to build, restore profitability that was falling off.

The new 567 that looks like a toy......http://www.peterbilt.com/products/vocational/567/

The traditionally built 367 with the signature cab........http://www.peterbilt.com/products/vocational/367/

11 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I asked about 367 & 567 most of the guys went to 567; I really can't tell much difference but didn't look that hard at them; really think they are going to be out of my price range

if you know any names of Mack freightliner dealers would appreciate them

Wow, there are no many.............(their discomfort with Volvo compelled them to diversify)

The boys at Shealy.............http://www.shealytruck.com/

Triple-T...................http://www.wemeantrucks.com/

The great folks at Excel (formerly Virginia Truck Center)............http://www.exceltruckgroup.com/

You can check this dealer locator for more.............https://www.freightlinertrucks.com/Dealers/United-States/

2 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

Wow, there are no many.............(their discomfort with Volvo compelled them to diversify)

The boys at Shealy.............http://www.shealytruck.com/

Triple-T...................http://www.wemeantrucks.com/

The great folks at Excel (formerly Virginia Truck Center)............http://www.exceltruckgroup.com/

You can check this dealer locator for more.............https://www.freightlinertrucks.com/Dealers/United-States/

Thank you

23 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

If this truck is a Mack or Volvo with the current unit pump injection system, I wouldn't buy it. I'd specify a new one with the common rail system.

Volvo's Delphi-supplied common rail system is the worst in the US market, but it's better than the current Delphi-supplied unit pump injection system.

Don't know if I wouldn't rather have the unit injector; hearing they have the problem with putting fuel in oil; makes for another headache; there new design sounds like cup problems too; time will tell

got to have best warranty & trade

14 hours ago, rw613 said:

buy the mack it is still the best truck made and by far the easits to work on as of the new trucks go there is a company here that bought 4 of those freightliners that no bodys having any trouble with thouse wounderful detroits  there a 18 months old and are being traded on macks better service and not in the shop twice a week   that being said if you have a old truck and are able to rebuild it do it           ps.....   ks.......  when theres any thing better than a mack made mack will mace it

i have done research on other sites and the great common rsail isnt as trouble freeas ks wants you to believe it has issues just as everything else, i get the feeling if mack volvo had common rail and other makers didnt have it ks would be saying the others are better, 

Nah, KS is a straight shooter who I believe is trying to give honest sage advice to an owner operator shopping for trucks. If there is a problematic piece of drive train I'd want to know. Take the JK jeeps for example, the 3.8L is a pos that craps out way sooner than it should or others do. My wife wants one and we were casually shopping and an honest salesman told us to hold out for a used JK with he 3.6L because it is a far superior engine. I'm guessing owner operators have pretty tight margin of profit these days and if they can dodge down time and repairs by being informed on what they are looking at/for they will be far happier than buying a certain brand that causes them headaches. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

1 hour ago, logtruckman said:

i have done research on other sites and the great common rsail isnt as trouble freeas ks wants you to believe it has issues just as everything else, i get the feeling if mack volvo had common rail and other makers didnt have it ks would be saying the others are better, 

My friend, I apologize for.....somehow......giving you that "feeling" (perception).

The Bosch and Cummins-Scania XPI common rail systems is twice as good as the unit pump injection systems from those two makers it replaces, and 3 times better than the cheap and problematic Delphi unit pump injection that Volvo buys.

Bosch and Cummins-Scania was at the forefront of both technologies. We launched XPI xtra-high pressure common rail injection way back in 2007. I've been experiencing it first hand since then.............not via websites.

16 hours ago, rw613 said:

"no bodys having any trouble with thouse wounderful detroits"

RW613, I never said that common rail can't break. I will say the Bosch and Cummins-Scania XPI common rail systems rarely do. I can't speak for the cheap-way-out Delphi retrofit common rail that Volvo is launching. But if this gentleman absolutely wanted to trade a Mack for a Mack, I gave him sound advise to pass up the outgoing Delphi unit pump injection and wait for the new common rail.

My friend, it's getting expensive and challenging to operate an older (Mack-made) truck. Any parts you have to buy from Volvo cost 3 to 10 times more than they did from the former Mack Trucks. And as demand declines, parts availability from the aftermarket is declining as well. As much as I like seeing a "real" Mack on the road...................

I saw a truck with the genuine interior; didn't know they made this; they have genuine,custom,grand touring, & rawhide

this genuine is plain, black dash & plain steering wheel, the bunk doesn't have air conditioning or heat controls, does anyone know what the cost difference from genuine to custom to grand touring to be, these salesmen you call & talk to just doesn't seem to know anything

I will chime in on this because I have a 2016 CXU with the Grand Touring interior, 70" condo, 505C+ engine (with the "old" fuel injection).  I have now had the truck just over a year.  It has 160 000 miles on it.  The truck runs phenomenally.  I run up and down the I15 corridor.  I am always 80 000 lbs gross.   My 30 day mpg is 7.77, 60 day 7.85, and 90 day 7.90.  I have been idling a touch more in the warmer months here.  Anyways, From my experience the old injection system performs well, and I have had ZERO problems with the truck since delivery.   I am very happy with my Mack.   

P.S.  My two previous trucks were a 2010 KW T660/86 Studio/485/1850 ISX, and a 2005 379 Peterbilt 63" bunk C15/475/1850 (both ordered new). My Mack is by far my favorite truck of the 3.  

Edited by wiserfrombud
  • Like 2