Electric speedometer in an rw

So I had the cable break on me taught no big deal.  Went to mack bought a new one $120 later installed it. Monday went to work lasted 8 hrs.  So when I got home started cruising Summit Racing's website found an autometer guage and a signal generator that'd screw into the trans.  Finally got a chance today to install it real simple and easy had to modify the the generator drive with the stock tang which went well and 5 wires to hook up and route

Resized_20160710_175315.jpg

• Like 1

With all the variations today it is not worth fixing the old cable stuff.  I stripped a couple different pencil gears in my triplex and gave up on it.  Worked with a member here and made an electronic speedo set up.  I machined a reluctor ring and the tailhousing for the pickup.  It works great, but not something just anyone can do(unless you have machine shop exp).  They now make GPS stuff that is plug/play.

SDC10566.jpg

SDC10567.jpg

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

9 hours ago, Freightrain said:

With all the variations today it is not worth fixing the old cable stuff.  I stripped a couple different pencil gears in my triplex and gave up on it.  Worked with a member here and made an electronic speedo set up.  I machined a reluctor ring and the tailhousing for the pickup.  It works great, but not something just anyone can do(unless you have machine shop exp).  They now make GPS stuff that is plug/play.

SDC10566.jpg

SDC10567.jpg

I noticed that after I ordered the unit that still drives off of where the cable went that they have GPS modules that'll drive the speedometer 

On 7/11/2016 at 6:54 AM, IH Farms 2 said:

So I had the cable break on me taught no big deal.  Went to mack bought a new one $120 later installed it. Monday went to work lasted 8 hrs.  So when I got home started cruising Summit Racing's website found an autometer guage and a signal generator that'd screw into the trans.  Finally got a chance today to install it real simple and easy had to modify the the generator drive with the stock tang which went well and 5 wires to hook up and route

Can you post a pic of the trans side of it. My speedo is dead also. 

This is the one I used had to modify it with an original drive tang.  Cut it down and drilled a hole in the middle 

The speedometer head is autometer part number 1480. Had to calibrate it basically find a measured 2 miles and drive it following the instructions on how to set it up 

I have a T2100 at the moment want a t2130

Screenshot_20160715-195914.jpg

That look like it would fit better in my gearbox. I have a 4 inch extension and then a 90 degree fitting on my cable. Did you fit it in the gearbox or at the 90 degree bend? 

Thanks a bunch for the link. I've ordered it already. 

On 7/11/2016 at 8:35 AM, Freightrain said:

SDC10566.jpg

SDC10567.jpg

I put a Speedhut 4" GPS speedo unit in my Marmon,(gauge sizes go up to 5 1/2 inches)  A hot lead and a Ground, put the GPS sending unit top center of the dash and done.No cables adaptors and ratio figuring. Customized the gauge at the factory to match the other gauges in the dash and even added MARMON TRUCKS to the face at no cost.   $279 free shipping and a lifetime garrentee on the unit

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE