Macungie 2016 Show & E9 issues

AZB755V8

Ugh, sounds like quite a trip.  Glad you made it back home okay. 

Let me tell you about hydroplaning with good tires. Ugh, if you recall my incident last year going to York.  Pucker factor: 100.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Got the engine taken down today. One of the exhaust seats came apart and chewed up the piston, liner, head and turbo. Think the head is actually repairable but piston, liner and turbo are toast. I was going to change out the turbo anyway after this trip, it was just too big to run on the road with a trailer. Have to cut her back on the Horse Power and be more drivable. Turbo did not really start working until 1900rpm. Got a Borg Warner S400-91 to install and should come in around 1400-1500rpm.

Yep a lot of water under the tires at 55mph is not a good thing, slowed down to 40 after the Holly Crap moment!!!

IMG_1142.JPGIMG_1138.JPGIMG_1143.JPGr

On 7/1/2016 at 3:48 PM, Back In Black Pulling said:

That sucks had valve shatter ounce the pieces made it in to two of the other cylinders on that side. Believe it was intake valve.

Your gonna like that turbo.  

Saw your truck at the show but not that turbo. What can yo tell me about it? From what I have been told NEW Tech design is far better than the old Holset T5 I just destroyed. I hope to have it back together next week and ready to go to Canada to get the three E9's I bought there in February. 

1 hour ago, AZB755V8 said:

I hope to have it back together next week and ready to go to Canada to get the three E9's I bought there in February. 

keep me posted about your trip to the great white north

BC Mack

On 7/4/2016 at 7:58 PM, AZB755V8 said:

Saw your truck at the show but not that turbo. What can yo tell me about it? From what I have been told NEW Tech design is far better than the old Holset T5 I just destroyed. I hope to have it back together next week and ready to go to Canada to get the three E9's I bought there in February. 

I have a holset hx 82 with a billet wheel, 4.1 inlet and bigger exhaust wheel on mine now.

the one your getting is the same as the johndeere turbo i use to have on or is it a little bigger then that?

2 hours ago, Back In Black Pulling said:

I have a holset hx 82 with a billet wheel, 4.1 inlet and bigger exhaust wheel on mine now.

the one your getting is the same as the johndeere turbo i use to have on or is it a little bigger then that?

I thought that is what you had on your truck now but modified. I don't know what the spec. is on the John Deere turbo but the Borg Warner S400 has only been out for about 3 years in this size and has extended vane tech and some other new stuff in it stock. It is a 3.9 inlet and my old Holset was a 3.6. The exhaust side was to big for the rpm's that are needed at cruise speed with my truck now. So I went smaller on the exhaust and bigger on the intake side to bring the surge line down to 1400-1500rpm's hopefully. :thumb: