B 61 Tie Rod Ends

HarryS

Call the good folks at Watts Mack (sponsor of this website) with your 1QHA4125BP5 front axle arrangement. They can view that arrangement and see the parts break-down of those tie rod end assemblies (10QH220P1/221P1) including the stud, springs, ect., and check availability.

There used to be a repair "kit" that conveniently provided you with all the parts under one part number, probably 204SQ17 (or 204SQ21B). Watts can confirm the correct kit.

Make sure you also order two 95RU32 tie-rod end rubber boots to complete the job.

I wouldn't be surprised if they can assist you.. This is what most FA505s have.

8 hours ago, steve s. said:

Try calling John Chalmers, Cashtown PA. I recently purchased a tie rod repair kit from him for my FA 512 axle. He may be able to help.

Thanks for the info. I had heard his name before but didn't know where he lived.

On 7/5/2016 at 10:31 AM, kscarbel2 said:

Call the good folks at Watts Mack (sponsor of this website) with your 1QHA4125BP5 front axle arrangement. They can view that arrangement and see the parts break-down of those tie rod end assemblies (10QH220P1/221P1) including the stud, springs, ect., and check availability.

There used to be a repair "kit" that conveniently provided you with all the parts under one part number, probably 204SQ17 (or 204SQ21B). Watts can confirm the correct kit.

Make sure you also order two 95RU32 tie-rod end rubber boots to complete the job.

I wouldn't be surprised if they can assist you.. This is what most FA505s have.

Did you contact Watts Mack (with your 1QHA number) and check if the 204SQ17 tie rod end repair kit is applicable to your truck, and still available?

11 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Did you contact Watts Mack (with your 1QHA number and check if the 204SQ17 tie rod end repair kit is applicable to your truck, and still available?

I did call Barry again with the individual tie rod end numbers from the build sheet and the number on the pin cup  and still no luck, not even on the seal parts. I went to Moog technical with those same numbers and measurements and they couldn't come up with anything.  I did find some used parts with hardly any wear that seem to be serviceable.

13 hours ago, HarryS said:

I did call Barry again with the individual tie rod end numbers from the build sheet and the number on the pin cup  and still no luck, not even on the seal parts. I went to Moog technical with those same numbers and measurements and they couldn't come up with anything.  I did find some used parts with hardly any wear that seem to be serviceable.

Did you contact Watts Mack (with your 1QHA number) and check if the 204SQ17 tie rod end repair kit is applicable to your truck, and still available?

14 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

I should have been more specific, I contacted Barry at Watt's Mack twice with all the numbers we spoke of regarding a complete tie rod  end, repair parts or seal kits. He said none were available for the FA 505. Watts is always my first choice for parts as I appreciate their support and also this forum. I also appreciate all of the help and knowledge available here.

Thank you for the update and clarification.

I realize that demand for tie rod end rebuild kits is low. But then again, the FA505 was the most popular steer axle on the most popular B61. Steering and brakes are the two "musts". And tie rod ends are a wear item. If one can no longer obtain a rebuild kit from Mack, and it appears that the aftermarket never really supplied these components, then the restoration and subsequent operation of these trucks is really a dead issue.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/24/2020 at 10:42 AM, PISTON06 said:

YOU CAN REPLACE THE TIE ROD ASSY. WITH STEMCO P.N. QT967SS IT WORKED FOR ME AND IS A LOT CHEAPER

I'm contacting Stemco now to verify the taper of their product matches the FA505 axle knuckles on my 1963 B61.  Do you have the major and minor diameters and the length of the taper on the ends of the assembly you bought?

• 2 months later...