The North American-style axle-forward Scania COEs

kscarbel2

Although most Scania COEs have a European-style "axle-back" steer configuration (like the popular Mack FM), the Swedish truckmaker had in the past produced North American-style axle-forward steer COEs. Below is a photo a 1-Series in Australia.

Designated model "LK", 3,833 were sold in Brazil from 1975 to 1981, and 686 were delivered to Australian customers during the 1976-1981 period.

The steer axle was relocated forward 415mm (16.34 inches).

I humbly feel the set-forward position makes for a nice looking truck.

Scania 141 set-forward front axle (Australia).jpg

image 9.jpg

image 8.jpg

image 7.jpg

Scania LKS141 (Brazil).jpg

image 11.jpg

• Like 1

Of course Scania wasn’t the only truckmaker to sell axle-forward versions of European COEs in Australia.

In 1997, Western Star introduced an axle-forward version of ERF’s superb EC Series, dubbed the Commander 7564. Many were sold in Australia and New Zealand.

ERF EC-based Western Star Commander 7564F.jpg

There pictures will surprise many.

This is one of a fleet of axle-forward Scania 2-Series conventionals, operated by British Petroleum in New Zealand.

Looks like an American "west coast" truck with the steer tires just behind the bumper,

Scania Model T112MC (New Zealand spec)

Lightweight chassis  /  Set-forward steer axle

Engine Model           11-litre 333 horsepower DSC11-01

Transmission            Scania 10-speed GR871

Production                1985-1986

Wheelbase                4,790mm (188.6 inches)

Tires                          11R22.5

GCW                           48,000kg (105,822lb)

image 6.jpg

image 5.jpg

image 7.jpg

Scania T112MC, 333hp DSC11-01,GR871 10spd (3).jpg

1985 Scania T112MC (1).jpg

• Like 2

How long to Scania LKs last? Nobody knows. None have ever worn out.

Though the last one was produced in 1981, these 14.2-liter Scania DS14 V8-powered example demonstrates their durability.

Once you become accustomed to all that V8 power, anything else is........less.

Ask BC Mack about his experience with the DS14 V8 in a Scania 141 (if his pills are nearby).

No doubt how good the Scania is they sold a bucket load out here and still are selling them and yeah I think they are all still running about 

Never seen one of those NZ ones with the axle forward 

And I didnt know the LK were a special still learning stuff 

Paul

Worth noting, a nice New Zealand MCR tractor with at 44 rears. Note the RHD instrument panel is altogether different, not the exact opposite if the LHD version.

New Zealand got special builds, including their unique RB, a glossed over example of the 1978 Brockway 760 "Super-Liner" prototype (ahead of the MCR, Mack Australia got the MIR model, which used the former Brockway N527 "Huskiteer" cab ).

New Zealand MCR.jpg

Will have to track down the when the Truck and Bus magazine did a road test on the MCR and we can have a look might take me a while to find it though

They did road tests on just about all Mack products thru that time frame the new Super liner 400 V 8 pulling cattle road trains fuel figures were shocking but thats double cattles crates for you LOL

Paul 

KSC...

Meanwhile... over at Camp Volvo...

same time frame as the Scania 1x0 series was the F88/89... however, some markets such as Australia needed an axle forward version and the "G88/89" became a good seller in Oz...

spec...

http://www.oldaussievolvos.com/pdfs/volvo - G88 spec sheets (Aus & Sweden).pdf

pics etc...

http://www.oldaussievolvos.com/component/content/category/9-system-8

one old tale was that the Oz production line was able to build a right hand drive "89" which was unobtainable back in Sweden or the UK due to the turbo in the way of the gear linkage.. Ozzie ingenuity..!!!

and before you Mack die-hards start throwing your rattles out of the pram, this was when Volvo made decent trucks and was well respected by the customer... which included me.

ok KSC... back to regular Scania stuff... I've got my pills ready, LOL

BC Mack

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BC Mack said:

KSC...

and before you Mack die-hards start throwing your rattles out of the pram, this was when Volvo made decent trucks and was well respected by the customer... which included me.

LOL yeah got it pretty spot on right the older Volvo's G88 and G89 and what ever those little bubble cabs were what got Volvo established out here and they are still going I dont think anywhere near as good as they once were I hardly see any new Volvo trucks around come to think of it I cant recall seeing any new Volvos for some time I would bung up some pics but the forum would have a melt down and the boys from the US would pull their Dirty Harry revolvers on me and fill me full of lead LOL

Paul

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/16/2016 at 2:37 AM, kscarbel2 said:

Of course Scania wasn’t the only truckmaker to sell axle-forward versions of European COEs in Australia.

In 1997, Western Star introduced an axle-forward version of ERF’s superb EC Series, dubbed the Commander 7564. Many were sold in Australia and New Zealand.

ERF EC-based Western Star Commander 7564F.jpg

I REALLY like that Star...!  I just realized the "Commander" name .. Carried over from when White referred to their cabovers as Road Commanders?

Edited by Outbehindthebarn

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.