Bits of Freightliner history

kscarbel2

• 2 months later...
On 7/29/2016 at 9:36 AM, kscarbel2 said:

That piece of history absolutely needs to be saved.

I will agree with you on that, Freightliner Corp was going to buy it but the deal fell through. You wouldn't believe what owner wants for it $$$$$$.

Truck Shop

One ping only

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

So the owner wanted a ridiculous sum.

Meanwhile, the owner has his prized possession sitting outside where the elements are taking their toll.

A tragedy for the preservation of America's truckmaking history.

And I will agree with that also. But the only way prices come down is by buyers closing their wallets.  

Trucks are not street rods or muscle cars at least if you want to haul in the winter. People see what someone is asking for vehicles on craigslist or truckpaper and think they can get that also. Plus every vehicle over 30 years old is rare or a barn find.  

I have several old trucks that are on a list and every one wants way more than there worth. So I will just look at them and record some pictures. Old trucks are neat you can like'm but not love'm one old trucker told me years ago. 

Truck Shop

One ping only

Truck shop,so far I've seen some real bargains,from the pictures at least.A really nice looking 72 diamond reo s/a road tractor sold in 2014  for 3500bucks in oh 900k but the cab,fenders,chrome grille stainless bumper looked near new.A very rare 1986 diamond reo with an air cooled Deutz said to run good went for 1800.was gone in a couple hrs. Just got the.New Hemmings,a really nice looking 73 KW twin screw day cab 8v71 10 speed in pa for 8500.Also a 75 autocar tandem dump 350Cummins with a 13 speed,New paint,rebuilt top end and final drive.22500. Said to have been rebuilt for a job that cancelled.

The 1st Freightliner conventional I saw around Pittsburgh was in 1978  was baby blue,pulled a dump bucket for years. I was gonna build a street rod ,may still but it hit me you can get a lot more antique truck for the money than you can any old car.Plus you can have fun going slow if you have enough gears!

1 hour ago, BillyT said:

The 1st Freightliner conventional I saw around Pittsburgh was in 1978  was baby blue,pulled a dump bucket for years. I was gonna build a street rod ,may still but it hit me you can get a lot more antique truck for the money than you can any old car.Plus you can have fun going slow if you have enough gears!                               

Oh, I'm not saying there isn't some buy's out there.  It's truck's like the 60 Freightliner above. Sure I would like to restore that old girl----------- but not for a $75,000.00 price tag.  You have to buy them cheap because your going to spend tons of $$$ restoring one.

Truck Shop

One ping only

Maybe he is looking for that rusty patina all the rat rod builders seem to cherish. :whistling:Seriously, I wouldn't let $500.00 worth of stuff sit out and rust, much less a piece of irreplaceable history.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Truck shop,I'll bet Freightliner would have given him a new one,even a stripped one he could add a sleeper and trim items would be a good deal! Being from the "rust belt"i spent much of my youth doing bodywork and painting rust buckets,I HATE PATINA !!  A lot of the morons who post older rides,confuse half ass bodywork and rattle can primer spots with PATINA! Having said that there a handful of really valuable antique cars and trucks where you would destroy their value doing bodywork and paint! like AC Macks and the like.