I got a surprise today

Cool Surprise! 

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

It is called pot metal and it is a zinc based material which has low cost and is easy to cast into all sorts of things.  I have had dogs re chromed but the chrome shop sometimes rejects items if there are too many pits or zits.  It would just be too costly to repair them at $75-100 per hour.  Usually the older ones chrome well because the pot metal had fewer impurities.

If you want a perfect short eared dog, just go buy one, it will be less money than re chroming.  The long eared dogs are pre 1979 or so when there was a re design.  The patent number was changed on the dog's chest at that point to 1,387,477.

The dog base with the side holes is off an F or CF where grab handles mounted.

The long eared gold tone dogs would have been off Maxidyne equipped trucks.  Short eared gold tone indicate a pure bred truck with Mack engine, trans and rears.

There are a LOT of trucking memories on the table.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Hey Rustydog, I just bought a safe that hasn't been opened in a long time, maybe there will be a stack of dead presidents in there! I'm not looking to go factory fresh on these dogs, just clean them up and make them look presentable.