going to buy a new driver's seat

There's a joint about a hour away that wrecks headers (combine harvesters)and farm tractors 

Thinking some of those had pretty good seats, maybe a matching pair  there the Princess can make a new cover for

Want low back type of deal, Steiger and Versatile tractors had pretty flash seats, even the 86 series Internationals had pretty good seats

Paul

Drove an 86 GMC General Yeats ago for a logging Company. The original drivers Seat wore out. Instead of replacing it with a factory low back some yahoo put in a high back fit all trucks kinda seat!!! Needless to say you couldn't run alot of air in the seat cause the steering wheel would rub your stomach. 

• Haha 1

GMC. General????????? hell we didn’t even know you were old enough to remember them. ….. Fortunately, mine is all solid no suspension and steel. All I have to do is recover the cushions and I know a  guy ha ha it’s always handy to know a guy lol bob 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mowerman said:

GMC. General????????? hell we didn’t even know you were old enough to remember them. ….. Fortunately, mine is all solid no suspension and steel. All I have to do is recover the cushions and I know a  guy ha ha it’s always handy to know a guy lol bob 

Yes Sir it was a 1986 GMC General with lap belts and Air Actuated Windshield Wipers. It was a heavy haul truck we used to moved our logging equipment around with. I was around 22 or 23 yrs old back then hahaha loved driving that ol beast

I always like the way they looked. I used to see a lot of them around LA right around 85. Sealand had a lot of them LA Harbor. I’ve never even sat in one closest I’ve got was a  Chevy titan…. First  tractor and box i ever drove without a trainer 

Of course I like to brag about the first tractor in box I ever drove with a trainer was a U600 —-2 stick…  Talk about that around my terminal every body there pretty much has no idea what I’m talking about… bob

• Like 1

Funny thing about those Air Actuated Wipers is about the time I'd GIT them in rhythm Truc would hit a bump and they'd go all sorts of crazy 🤪 😜 😳.  Driving that truck made me feel like I was in a Jerry Reed movie especially cause it had a 15spd deep reduction Over drive transmission and smoked really good too!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I have one of those legacy seats in my 95 RD688. Great seat, way better than the bostroms in the other trucks. Have to take the left armrest off as it interferes with seatbelt, and after leaning on the right armrest for 6 years we had to take that one off as it finally deformed enough that it started catching the "lo lo" switch on our 8LL gear shifter when going from 1st to 2nd. Other than that it is a great seat! 

Edited by JoeH
  • Like 1

Funny, you mentioned those armrest I have them on both sides my Peterbilt I don’t use either one of them and I keep forgetting they’re on there the passenger side one is actually pretty handy. I have used it before. Mainly, Pretty much, just forget it over there It was a pretty good idea of somebody’s part…. Other than that, the seat is really not comfortable. As far as I’m concerned and its a brand new truck. Bob

On 5/5/2024 at 7:16 PM, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

Funny thing about those Air Actuated Wipers is about the time I'd GIT them in rhythm Truc would hit a bump and they'd go all sorts of crazy 🤪 😜 😳.  Driving that truck made me feel like I was in a Jerry Reed movie especially cause it had a 15spd deep reduction Over drive transmission and smoked really good too!!

And yes, by the way, the general was pretty much the last of the cool shit… at least was right there with the rest of the big haulers

• Like 1