Pushing Antifreeze Out?!

E7x

AS TITLE SAYS ON MY 97 CH613. I WAS WOUNDERING IF SOMEONE HARE CAN CONFIRM IF I'M RIGHT OR WRONG OR, IF THERE IS A OTHER SOLUTION TO THIS PROB THAT IS NOT TOO EXPENSIVE. WHEN TRUCK IS IDLE AT 600 FOR MORE THEN 5 MIN IT PUSHES ANTIFREEZE OUT TO TOP TANK THEN IT GOES TO THE OVERFLOW TANK AND FINALLY SHOOTS OUT THRU A SMALL HOLE IN PLASTIC CAP. WHEN I IDLE AT 1000 AND ABOVE OR JUST DRIVE IT, THEN I NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM WITH OVERHEATING NOR LOOSING ANTIFREEZE. I HAVE REPLACED A WATER COOLER, A TOP TANK CAP, TOOK A THERMOSTAT OUT, FLUSHED A SYSTEM AND CHECKED A RADIATOR FOR LEEKS. EVERYTHING IS NORMAL, THE ONLY THING THAT I HAVE NOT DONE IS THE HEAD GASKET. IF THERE IS OTHER WAY OF FIXING IT WITHOUT REPLACING A HEAD GASKET THEN PLEASE HELP.

I DON'T HAVE A TIME AND MONEY TO INVEST IN THIS TRUCK AT THIS TIME, IT DRIVES NORMAL WHEN RPM'S ARE ABOVE 1000.

THANKS, RAF.

AS TITLE SAYS ON MY 97 CH613. I WAS WOUNDERING IF SOMEONE HARE CAN CONFIRM IF I'M RIGHT OR WRONG OR, IF THERE IS A OTHER SOLUTION TO THIS PROB THAT IS NOT TOO EXPENSIVE. WHEN TRUCK IS IDLE AT 600 FOR MORE THEN 5 MIN IT PUSHES ANTIFREEZE OUT TO TOP TANK THEN IT GOES TO THE OVERFLOW TANK AND FINALLY SHOOTS OUT THRU A SMALL HOLE IN PLASTIC CAP. WHEN I IDLE AT 1000 AND ABOVE OR JUST DRIVE IT, THEN I NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM WITH OVERHEATING NOR LOOSING ANTIFREEZE. I HAVE REPLACED A WATER COOLER, A TOP TANK CAP, TOOK A THERMOSTAT OUT, FLUSHED A SYSTEM AND CHECKED A RADIATOR FOR LEEKS. EVERYTHING IS NORMAL, THE ONLY THING THAT I HAVE NOT DONE IS THE HEAD GASKET. IF THERE IS OTHER WAY OF FIXING IT WITHOUT REPLACING A HEAD GASKET THEN PLEASE HELP.

I DON'T HAVE A TIME AND MONEY TO INVEST IN THIS TRUCK AT THIS TIME, IT DRIVES NORMAL WHEN RPM'S ARE ABOVE 1000.

THANKS, RAF.

Sorry man! head gaskets MIGHT fix it for while low liners is most likly .

have you checked the fan clutch sounds like thats the problem or the water pump is going out

Thermal

brings up a good point before jumping head first into my theroy .

Plug off the bleed hole in the waterpump case ,see if that makes a diffrence.

and make sure the fan is working correctly !AND make sure there are no air controled water shut offs in the bunk these can put air into the coolant system at odd times faking a persons diagnosus.

As for my theroy these engines had problems with low liners at 460 horse power!

What was good enough for 350 turns out is too low for 460.19 thou is low spec 28 thou is high

spec for liner protrution ,an engine that is set at 460 and has low spec liner protrution has a good chance of havig head gasket problems (symtoms like yours )A water pump sucking air can cause this as well as over heatwill also cause it! You need to check the cheap and easy stuff first!

I had a coolant-push problem last summer...ended up being the air-compressor head gasket being bad and pushing compressed air into the coolant. Started with being random amounts at random times, then into full blown inability to hold coolant.

Anyway, try bypassing the air compressor coolant lines when you're at idle.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

• 2 months later...

THANKS, RAF.

We had this issue with our 2002 cx613 and ended up having all the coolant system updates done on it there were 8 of them the problem is fixed now.

Raf,

I had the same problem with my 98 CH. The problem was a kinked heater hose. It didn't look kinked to me but it had a pretty sharp bend to it. I replaced that line with a straighter hose and the problem went away. Also when I had the kinked hose it wouldn't fill up the reservoir if I had the heater on all day. As soon as the heat was off the tanks would start to fill up and squirt out of the little hole.

Hope that's your problem.

Good luck

Rob

THANKS, RAF.

check thermostat see if there is a bleeder hole in it and that it is installed facing up

• 8 years later...

Sorry to open this so far down the road. I am working on a 1998 Mack E7-460 that is blowing coolant out of the overflow tank. It is pressurizing the system.  The customer had it to Mack last year and they installed a new head and one cylinder. It was fixed for three weeks and started doing the same thing. He called Mack and they are scratching their head. He doesn’t want to spend a lot of money on this truck so he brought it to me since my labor rate is cheaper. 

I pressure checked the cooling system for three days and didn’t lose any pressure. I have also removed the rocker arm assemblies and pressurized the intake manifold to 50 psi and I can’t see any bubbles in the tank indicating a crack between the valves. 

It had a sleeper but has been removed and made into a day cab. I am really scratching my head as to why after 40 minutes of driving it over pressurizes the radiator cap. The Mack dealer installed a new thermostat and air compressor as well  sounds like they were just throwing parts on the engine hoping to fix it. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I’m having the same issue on my 2001 Mack ch 613 dump truck when it’s loaded it seems to get pressure in the surge tank then push through the reservoir then out the little hole on cap I’ve changed the water pump thermostat oil cooler radiator took it off and got it cleaned and checked it’s not plugged changed the caps top and bottom no oil in the coolant no coolant in the oil and never runs hot I don’t know what else to do took it to Mack they say my radiator has cold spots To replace radiator but really not agreeing with the diagnostic they did can anyone help me out I’m thinking the compressor but there’s no coolant in my air tank tho

You are making pressure somewhere then. I leave my bottom one empty and top one filled and the bottom
Stays empty. But if I put coolant in the bottom one it will come out that weep hole and cover the side of motor. Like it siphons itself out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I know just not sure if it the radiator that’s not flowing correctly like Mack told me or it’s the compressor I’ve spend over 3 thousand and still can’t figure it out some say it’s the block some say the head or head gasket some say compressor I don’t know wat else to do took it to 3 different mechanics and changed a lot of parts from the dealer and still the same

Can you pressure the coolant system to check for leaks? My buddy’s was pushing coolant when loaded. Especially when pulling a hill. That ended up being a head gasket. Pressurize the coolant system and see if you hold pressure or lose it somewhere. I have.l a feeling if the air compressor is the problem it would push coolant loaded or empty, and do it when the compressor is kicked in pumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk