Rd Cracked Trunnion

jams908

I recently purchased 1998 Mack RD 688s Dump with cracked trunnion. I was wondering idf anyone out there replaced with aftermarket trunnion that did not require you to slide them in from the back. I was also talking to Mack Service manager he said they have a service trunnion in three pieces. I am not sur which route to go since the aftermarket seems easier but the support on just the bolts does not seem strong enough. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks Joe

From what i have seen, the aftermarkets that bolt in are more than suffecient. When i do mechanic work for maxville during my slow times, I have seen him use them. I belive the first one he used was about 4-5 years ago and just as recent as 9 months ago. One on his personal tankers, and one on a log truck. Never had a problem with any of them and you can bet that a log truck, and for sure his slurry tankers see some of the hardest conditions possible. I would recommend the aftermarket for just the time savings and would sure have no problem trusting them as far as strength goes. Now obviously they have only been in his rigs for 5 years tops, but absolutey no cracks or breaks on the aftermarkets camelback trunions....

There Is No Replacement, For Displacement!!!!!

From what i have seen, the aftermarkets that bolt in are more than suffecient. When i do mechanic work for maxville during my slow times, I have seen him use them. I belive the first one he used was about 4-5 years ago and just as recent as 9 months ago. One on his personal tankers, and one on a log truck. Never had a problem with any of them and you can bet that a log truck, and for sure his slurry tankers see some of the hardest conditions possible. I would recommend the aftermarket for just the time savings and would sure have no problem trusting them as far as strength goes. Now obviously they have only been in his rigs for 5 years tops, but absolutey no cracks or breaks on the aftermarkets camelback trunions....

I'll add that it is a pretty easy install. Torch your old one out ream your holes larger, slip it in, tighten the bolts... I removed both the "manure tank" and the log bed before we did the installs.. You want the Eagle trunion stand from Stengel Brothers.

http://www.stengelbros.com/MackParts.htm

• 8 years later...

You should check the width between your frame rails. Different Mack frames vary on it. Some factory trunnion stands had spicer plates welded on etc.

Too probably all stands were the same width adapted with spicers but I'm way off from to be sure on it. So better to do a double check.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

6 hours ago, fjh said:

Also be aware that if you decide to go with oem there are  3 different grades of chair  light medium and severe duty we just did a severe duty on a  RB cement truck last month took out the light duty one   .

Are they made of sheet of differnet gauge? Or any other way to determine what you have?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced mine in my 2000 CL with the bolt in version. It's alot hearvyer and thinker then the factory part was. I wanted to get it done before mine cracked. Iv had it done for like 2 years now. No issues. Very stout. I swapped in New springs as well. Whole 9 yards. 

new resized.jpg

• 4 weeks later...