Vintage L series photos

Orville delivering L and B sleeper cabs about 1955 of so.

Look closely; the one closest to the delivery truck is a B model, I think the next two are H models and the last is an early C model fire truck. Probably 1959-1960 era. Great picture.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I put muself down on my knees with a camera many times to look underneeth of LJ's and LT's and was every time surprized by seeing almost different spring hangers, side step brackets and so on on LT's. It looked like someone rebuilt them with newer or different truck's components but to the moment I met no exception.

The early trucks, all 3 axle had a different frame design than the later trucks,(LTSW.LTLSW,LTLT,LTHSW, LTHT? don't think there was one. The difference is the web tapers up starting behind the front rear spring hangers and the later trucks the taper starts between the front hangers. The steering shaft passes below the flange, I have one and seen others with a factory inside channel from over the center of axle back to the about 3' past the rear hanger, and the rear hangers are unique to this design.

From what I have seen and recorded at least 200 units were built this way ,assuming all LTSW's. The later design, taper over the axle, is on LTSW # 1482 has it , and all LTLSW's, and LTLT's. LTSW's had either 1/4" or 5/16" frames, I believe all LTH's had 5/16", and LTL's 1/4".

All trucks have the same front spring hangers ( steel or aluminum depending on the model), the rear hangers on the early (steel), different from the later (steel, aluminum), and the LTH's have (steel) and I have seen some shorter in height.

All trucks have the same length springs, different number of leaves 12/14 depending model and mfg of spring.

I have been looking at and under every LT for the past 26 years gathering information etc., but still find something new and different.

FW

post-146-0-95812600-1451829774_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-94112900-1451829795_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-90772300-1451829813_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The early trucks, all 3 axle had a different frame design than the later trucks,(LTSW.LTLSW,LTLT,LTHSW, LTHT? don't think there was one. The difference is the web tapers up starting behind the front rear spring hangers and the later trucks the taper starts between the front hangers. The steering shaft passes below the flange, I have one and seen others with a factory inside channel from over the center of axle back to the about 3' past the rear hanger, and the rear hangers are unique to this design.

From what I have seen and recorded at least 200 units were built this way ,assuming all LTSW's. The later design, taper over the axle, is on LTSW # 1482 has it , and all LTLSW's, and LTLT's. LTSW's had either 1/4" or 5/16" frames, I believe all LTH's had 5/16", and LTL's 1/4".

All trucks have the same front spring hangers ( steel or aluminum depending on the model), the rear hangers on the early (steel), different from the later (steel, aluminum), and the LTH's have (steel) and I have seen some shorter in height.

All trucks have the same length springs, different number of leaves 12/14 depending model and mfg of spring.

I have been looking at and under every LT for the past 26 years gathering information etc., but still find something new and different.

FW

Neil, thank you for the great explanations.

Now I can see both the original front axle setup's had rubber pads, neither spring shakles and so on.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012