power and boost issues

msmack

Hi I have a 2001 Etech 470, something strange happening with the boost pressure and power. I havent seen the boost gauge go over 150kpa for a few months truck felt a bit like it had lost some power but I thought must be my imagination then last week going uphill the truck made a completly different sound and took off up the hill like a rocket looked at the boost gauge it was reading 225kpa since then it has been up and down noticeable sound difference and gauge pressure when its going well. not showing any fault codes, the mechanic had a look changed 2 hoses on the intercooler and a sensor also sometimes the tacho will go up fast and sometimes slow on the same road in the same place sort of feels like driving into a headwind or soft ground if anyone has any ideas what could be happening that would be great thanks

2001 Etech do not have an EGR. EGR came out in 2003 with the ASET AC engines.

Maybe you are having some kind of fuel pressure problem. If you have low fuel pressure, you will have low boost pressure. No fuel pressure, no boost pressure.

You can add a pressure gauge to the fuel system and ran the truck, monitor the pressure while the truck is acting up. I use a air pressure gauge( like the one the truck uses for air pressure). I remove the plug thats towards the right front of the engine, just in front of the EUPs (its the 1/4"square plug), add a fitting and 1/4" airline and the gauge. Run the 1/4" into the cab, be careful around the exhaust. This is a temporary gauge for diagnostics purposes.

• 2 months later...

What Range should the fuel pressure be in? I have a 2001 350 Etech that I just got put together and it feel sluggish to me. The most boost I have seen so far has been 25psi with a load. I just did a complete service, oil and all filters. Going to check for more boost leaks, found one so far in the hose at the air compressor.

• 2 weeks later...

80-100 psi off the top of my head. Could also be injectors or a lot of other things causing underfueling which would result in a lack of boost.

Any smoke? Codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2004 ch doing the same thing. Sent mine to the dealer spent $7500 and no change. Was going to check fuel pressure but the plug was stripped on the front so I used the one on the back and at idle it's only reading 10 lbs, ran it up to 1800 rpm and only reading 42.