Grinding 18 Spd

redman

someone else drove my truck. now when i shift from the low side (4th) to high side(5th) it grinds like crazy. synchros gone bad, air problem ?its a 18speed fuller. i hate when someone drives my truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know who drove your truck as to find out a little more information about when the problem started, or if they noticed it, just before you whack their nuts off?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Do you know who drove your truck as to find out a little more information about when the problem started, or if they noticed it, just before you whack their nuts off?

Rob

remember-dull knife = more pain.

...but I don't know what someone could have done to cause that problem :huh:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

remember-dull knife = more pain.

...but I don't know what someone could have done to cause that problem :huh:

from my limited experience with Fuller transmissions the sounds of it are that the sycronizer cage has either come apart, or broken. This can be caused by "hammering" gears with the shifter from inexperience, or abuse.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If I understand the question correctly, I think what Redman is talking about is when he makes a range shift from low to high.

I have had the same problem before with the Fuller 13 speed as well, what can cause it is from shifting at too high a speed from high range to low range. I think there is a note on the shift pattern indicator that you are supposed to be below 25 MPH before shifting into low range.

That doesn't help, but could explain what may have happened.

Good Luck

Dak49

Yup.

Range shift synchronizer is shot.

It'll keep working for a while, even though it's grinding.

Then when the grinding goes on long enough to wear out the teeth, the range shift will jump out of gear when you put the power on.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"