Removing paint from shutters?

I would like to remove the paint from the shutters on my B61. What is the best way to do this? I have read about soda blasting aluminum but not sure of anyone in my area that does this. Has anyone ever used the aircraft stripper? Would this be the way to go? Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

I used stripper on mine years back. Then just some sand paper to smooth out the ridges in the aluminum, then a polishing wheel with some Wenol and they turned out pretty nice. After near 10 yrs, they still look pretty good. Haven't touched them since other then soap/water.

Right after I did them:

Jan28_0004.jpg

Couple years ago:
HPIM0163_zps1e4a4eb3.jpg

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I had our shutters cleaned by a soda blast shop, excellent clean and most important the rubbers were nopt damaged - I would suggest you apply a good rubber lubricant onto the rubbers before the soda blastlet it soak in thoroughly - after soda wash reapply the rubber lubricant onto the rubber before polishing the shutters.

I only had a few to do (thanks to Jhancock I could replace the missing one), and used the orange paint stripper from Tractor Supply (supposedly the enviro friendly stuff). It worked well but had to sit and apply a few times. Nice thing, no damage to the rubber. It was a lot of work, soaking and some careful scraping, steel wool etc. just a thought.

theres two different style shutters, the ones with ribs and rubber and the smooth style like Larry posted pictures of. I have actually sandblasted both then sanded them out. if your careful it doesn't hurt anything. the rubber ones are about as rare as hens teeth to find a set not all bent to hell

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg