Single axle dump - thoughts

Hi Everyone,

I'm a noob. This site has been great to read and learn about Macks that I've always been drawn to. I feel like I'm getting addicted with all this info in one place. Same thing happened to me on the vintage Onan generator section on Smokstak (highly recommended).

I'm looking for a 6 wheel dump to putt around with and tinker on. I've been looking at 1980s R models, DM's, and now I found this U model on craigslist. I just wanted some of your thoughts on what to look for when considering buying one of these trucks. Here are a couple I'm planning on taking a look at locally:

U686 5 speed with 300HP Econodyne. Is Maxidyne a better engine? http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5042356581.html

R600 5 speed w/ Maxidyne 237, price seems right http://nh.craigslist.org/hvo/5060256076.html

Any thoughts on these trucks or experiances you've had with similar model trucks? - good or bad. I'm just looking for a place to get started.

-Matt

Welcome. Based on your comment I'd assume you are thinking of a hobby, not so much a true work truck. Both trucks look nice but that R looks like it could be a find. The 237 hp w/ a 5-spd. was in its day a great set up. Only complaint I had on the 237 in 82' was it idled a little rough - but otherwise you will see it's surprisingly powerful. I am partial to R's, they still have a classic look. The U is an offset cab (just in case, you'll see the door is flush with the left side of the body, the right mirror is on a long bracket off the air cleaner). The U is easy to drive and they always seemed easy to turn and were typically spec'd heavy. I'd take a good look at the R first. Only other advice is they aren't too expensive to buy, or insure as antiques, but they are expensive to fix, store, have towed, etc. That said, a nice dump at a good price holds it's value well. Have fun, and don't be afraid to ask. Guys on the site have tons of knowledge.

• Like 1

Matt, for the extra 3 grand i know i would by the 88, air ride rear and air ride cab should make that dm a nice ride! btw, did you look in that guys shop... looks like he takes care of things!!!! that other truck is at a dealer, not saying that dealers are bad but i would rather deal with the owner/driver.

just my thoughts.... and welcome to BMT :twothumbsup:

• Like 2

Like I said - a lot of good advice. Vinny (aka "umodelnut") may be weighing in on the U. Some people love that offset cab. Most U's seem to have been spec'd heavy. Most dealers and the Mack museum can look up build details. I love R models, but for a classic you can run there are a lot ofB's out there. Harder to work on, and metal vs. a fiberglass, and cab smaller - but they do turn heads. Good luck - let us know what you decide.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

I'm a noob. This site has been great to read and learn about Macks that I've always been drawn to. I feel like I'm getting addicted with all this info in one place. Same thing happened to me on the vintage Onan generator section on Smokstak (highly recommended).

I'm looking for a 6 wheel dump to putt around with and tinker on. I've been looking at 1980s R models, DM's, and now I found this U model on craigslist. I just wanted some of your thoughts on what to look for when considering buying one of these trucks. Here are a couple I'm planning on taking a look at locally:

U686 5 speed with 300HP Econodyne. Is Maxidyne a better engine? http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5042356581.html

R600 5 speed w/ Maxidyne 237, price seems right http://nh.craigslist.org/hvo/5060256076.html

Any thoughts on these trucks or experiances you've had with similar model trucks? - good or bad. I'm just looking for a place to get started.

-Matt I`ll say welcome to the site. you are in the right place for good info on macks and trucks in general and i also have a 1947 20 kw onan that i use on almost a daily basis. 6 cyl gas continental eng . still runs fine uses very little oil but is a beast to feed if you work it hard

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum I have no advice just have fun is all I can say I know nothing about the single drive Macks as not many were sold in Australia come to think of it I have never seen one in real life

I would look very closely at air ride as camel back when running bobtail is like riding a rigid heel Harley Davidson you'll hop off pissing blood dunno about the single drives they might ride a lot better

good luck and have fun

Paul

Thank you for the replies. Great conversation.

Regarding the differences in engines & transmissions, one with 300HP Econodyne 5 speed, and the other 237HP Maxidyne 5 speed... what are the differences? From what I've read... Econodyne's torque curve is not as flat as Maxidyne. But if they both have 5 speeds, both must be sufficient to pull through the gears effectively. What’s the consensus on this?

Matt