Replacing Lifter/Cam for the 3rd time in 2 years!

MariStar

I have a 2003 Mack RD6, and am having the lifter and cam replaced for the 3rd time in 2 years. Has anyone experienced the same issues? What is causing this? We have regular PMs done. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Edited by MariStar

Not sure but I was told the reason those lifters failed was a bad batch of them due to incorrect temperature of oven when they were made.I replaced mine and apparently they were a updated batch.Are they replacing all your lifters or only the one that failed.

Is the proper spec oil being used? This is a common problem on certain VW TDI engines (the motor in mine is one), and 90% of the time, incorrect oil is the culprit. My .02

• Like 1

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

I was always told mack cams and lifter problems were traced to not letting the truck warm up long enough before operating it. ,then again we had 2 identical e7 460 's one we had to change cam and lifters 3 times in 10 yes . the other one only once because a eup broke and ruined the can

After the first replacement cam failed someone should have done a better job of failure analysis, especially if a dealer was doing the work.

The only time the lifters should be replaced is on a flat tappet camshaft since the lobe and lifter face have a matching wear pattern. On a roller cam there is no need to replace all the good lifters as long as they are current parts. The camshaft is billet steel and hardened, the roller lifter never develops a pattern on the lobe or the roller. I do prefer to replace all ceramic lifters though because the tiniest imperfection will lead to a failure. That and if you accidentally drop one or it falls out of the bore, i would not trust it after that. That's just me though.

Update! This time, one of the ceramic rollers broke off. The first time we had to replace the lifters and cam, we had the work done at a Bruckner's Mack dealership in Dallas. It took over a month-and-a-half and the work only lasted a couple of months before one of the new Mack screws broke due to being over-tightened-we think.... We took it to our own mechanic the second time due to we didn't want our truck to be out of service another 2 months, and the dealership refused to take any blame for parts or labor. We filled out tons of paperwork and they would not warranty any of the parts even though we returned the parts to them. The rollers that time actually twisted sideways and gouged the cam. This time it seems that the ceramic roller broke, the lifter did not twist and made barely a tiny scuff on the cam that we may be able to have the machine shop buff/polish (interested in your thoughts on this?) We are however going to replace ALL of the lifters. MackPro68 thank you for the service bulletins I am going to make sure my mechanic has a copy!

Find a more competent dealer. We roll a cam job in a few days at the worst. The lifter blowing up is usually because someone fucking dropped it and said "oh well".

Rollers turning 99% of the time (in my experience) are due to messed up h rings. Make SURE they get inspected and get them fixed. Mackpro beat me to most of the literature..

Face peeling was common with etechs and usually caught early, only result in one lifter getting changed, but the failure inspection is extensive, including h-ring height.. Etc. Catastrophic failures like your last 2 sound like poor workmanship, but you'd have to determine root cause before I'd put it back together.

It sounds like the original camjob was a run of the mill failure those engines have, and someone failed to address it correctly. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update! This time, one of the ceramic rollers broke off. The first time we had to replace the lifters and cam, we had the work done at a Bruckner's Mack dealership in Dallas. It took over a month-and-a-half and the work only lasted a couple of months before one of the new Mack screws broke due to being over-tightened-we think.... We took it to our own mechanic the second time due to we didn't want our truck to be out of service another 2 months, and the dealership refused to take any blame for parts or labor. We filled out tons of paperwork and they would not warranty any of the parts even though we returned the parts to them. The rollers that time actually twisted sideways and gouged the cam. This time it seems that the ceramic roller broke, the lifter did not twist and made barely a tiny scuff on the cam that we may be able to have the machine shop buff/polish (interested in your thoughts on this?) We are however going to replace ALL of the lifters. MackPro68 thank you for the service bulletins I am going to make sure my mechanic has a copy!

I don't mean to start any crap or finger pointing BUT, your biggest mistake was NOT taking it back to the dealership. If I had done the work to this truck and there was a failure, I would want it back untouched for me to determine the failure. If a bolt broke- for example a rocker shaft bolt (powerleash) since they should be replaced when the shaft is removed, then it would be warranty. All damaged components would be replaced at no cost to you.

Since you took it to a 3rd party that is not an authorized Mack dealer then I would, like the dealer you mentioned, refuse to look at it and would deny any warranty. I can't think of any other business that would accept that.

I know the time frame thing was a factor in your decision, but taking it back to the dealer and pitching a fit or contacting the right people may have remedied that since the repair had failed. But now its just too late.