Mack e6 oil burning

Willpro

Hello guys, I have a freshly rebuilt e6 that I put in a b61. Motor was rebuilt from head to toe. New heads, pistons, can and crank bearing, rebuilt turbo and compressor. I am having trouble with it throwing oil through the exhaust manifold. Looks like it is coming from every cylinder. Tried running without the turbo and still does it. Smokes blue and burns the eyes. Have talked to countless people and no one has a clue. Motor has 5 minutes of run time. The guys that rebuilt it say it needs to be broken in but to scared to drive it. Has no smoke out vent tube. Was timed by mack was wondering if that could do it becaue I am out of ideas. Any help would be great thanks

Hi. I'm no mack expert, but have learnt a few things from others bad experiences. I once had a mate who had a L10 cummins, it's appeared to have oil coming from the turbo. Cut a long story short, it was bad injectors and was fuel coming out the turbo mixed with soot from exhaust.

Maybe from that experience, it might get a few light bulbs going in someone's heads. Best of luck with it.

Are you getting blue smoke? If not, then check for worn/misfit valve guides, no "slobber" shields, or unburned fuel (injectors). If you are blowing blue smoke, likely oil and/or compression rings installed incorrectly. Just thought of another thing...was the engine "broke in" to seat the rings? Did you install new liners or rehone the old ones?

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I ran into that problem when I rebuilt my E9. Drove me crazy. Finally took it to a mack deal, turns out I "over torqued" the fuel lines and it crimped the ends. Smoked like crazy. New fuel lines, end of problem. Easy to check.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Hi. I'm no mack expert, but have learnt a few things from others bad experiences. I once had a mate who had a L10 cummins, it's appeared to have oil coming from the turbo. Cut a long story short, it was bad injectors and was fuel coming out the turbo mixed with soot from exhaust.

Maybe from that experience, it might get a few light bulbs going in someone's heads. Best of luck with it.

Are you getting blue smoke? If not, then check for worn/misfit valve guides, no "slobber" shields, or unburned fuel (injectors). If you are blowing blue smoke, likely oil and/or compression rings installed incorrectly. Just thought of another thing...was the engine "broke in" to seat the rings? Did you install new liners or rehone the old ones?

The engine hasn't even been broken in yet because it runs like crap. There saying it just needs to be broken in but the fact that it has nothing coming through the slobber hose has me thinking the rings are done wrong. And these guys are professionals that have done a ton of 675 motors in the past. I thought injectors but it is coming from every cylinder not just one

Just curious, Why is the rebuilder afraid to run / drive it to break it in?

Sounds to me like the rings were installed incorrectly or damaged on the piston install or it's sucking oil past the valve guides.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'm the one that has to break it in. And it has no hitch because it's a show truck and can't put a load on the motor. Just waiting till snow is gone then going to put it on a dyno at cummins. Honestly I don't care if I take it back to them in a box of parts. I have a feeling it's a ring problem because it has 5 minutes of run time and probable poured out a gallon of oil. Even if a motor isn't broken in yet it will still have blow by this has nothing

There are two ways to go at the moment.

Remove at least one head and the pan and take some pistons out to inspect the rings.

Or to brake it in.

Second looks easier although it's easier to locate their mistake if any.

Have you note the oil level lowering?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I'm the one that has to break it in. And it has no hitch because it's a show truck and can't put a load on the motor. Just waiting till snow is gone then going to put it on a dyno at cummins. Honestly I don't care if I take it back to them in a box of parts. I have a feeling it's a ring problem because it has 5 minutes of run time and probable poured out a gallon of oil. Even if a motor isn't broken in yet it will still have blow by this has nothing

If it is pushing that much oil something is wrong or you got a lot of crankcase pressure take the oil fill cap off and see if it improves short of that, like others said check for the fuel lines and how much oil is down on the dip stick, or better yet tell the builders that you don't feel comfortable trying to break it in and take it back to there shop and pay them to do it then if it comes apart there wont be an question on who did what, if it is just a break in issue it will resolve it self and you will be out a few dollars but have piece of mind.

Not sure I would wait til spring and take it to the cummins dealer and put on a dyno until the oil issue is resolved, in my experience the longer you wait the less likely the re-builder will take responsibility. If I redo an engine I do a break in and run test to make sure it does run properly, does not leak and overheat (and show the customer). If you want bring to my shop and I will tear into it and figure it out but bring some CASH,because if it aint right you will be paying for another rebuild.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

There pretty good guys to deal with when it comes to that. It's pretty hard to pin point when it needs to be broken in to run it. It's black thick like oil but smells like fuel. Injectors were rebuilt and tested along with pump but having second thoughts on them. It's -40 Celsius here so hard to tinker with now. Might take steel lines off and make sure there ok along with injectors