For the International guys & gals

85snowdog

Snowdog,

Thanks for the interesting info.

Great looking Loadstar 1700 by the way!

Sure would be interested in more particulars on your nice truck. Motor, trans, gvw, stuff like that.

I've got a 76 Loadstar 1700 with the MV404. Really nice truck but have been having spark issues galore with the first of the electronic ignitions. Will have to figure out the best resolution on this.

Got a 74 Loadstar 1600 with a points ignition SV345 and that baby is DEPENDABLE!! Brakes are touchy and tend to not want to let off for a couple of seconds, after you come to a stop, can't figure that one out but we still drive her. Not a good icy road proposition however!! LOL

GEOFF

• Like 1

Keith,

I noticed the same thing while rummaging around a guys place where he had both Loadstars & R-190's! Couldn't believe it. I'm not up on my IH's,but I know :mack1: has been using that handle since the introduction of the F-Model in '62! Al

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Snowdog,

GREAT looking pair! I'm still learning the Mack line up. Not many of them out here in the Pacific Northwest, tons of IH, Kenworth and Peterbilts. Sure like learning about the Macks though.

Really try buffing out that original red paint. Whatever paint IH was using back then it is EXCELLENT. My 74 was too far gone and we had to repaint it. But, my 75 IH 200 pickup that dad bought new and I've driven since I was 15 in 1978 still has the original paint and NEVER got parked inside until about 2 years ago. This 76 Loadstar that have is the Sundance version, and was parked inside most of it's life. We buffed that one out and it is BEAUTIFUL! That original paint was THICK and GOOD!!! Give it a thought anyway, might save you some money. That would be very cool to see a stripe on it to match your Mack also. Like the way you think.

The interior of you Loadstar is just FANTASTIC!!!! WOW!!!!!

I hear you on your 345 running like a sewing machine. You get those SV series tuned right and they just PURR!!!! I've got a 2 with 345's and one 304 that just run SO SMOOTH like you are talking. Sweet running engines!!

Enjoyed your link to your original post. Like the comments from the mid west guys that saw a LOT of these Loadstars down thru the years at harvest!! You see them still in use out here too especially during apple and pear harvest which is what I do. I do most of my fruit hauling with bigger trucks but my 2 Loadstar we use especially for moving equipment, runs to the dump, hauling peat moss, stuff like that, where I can put a non CDL driver in them and let them get some experience!

Congrats on your outstanding find!!

Might post some pics of mine if I can figure out how.

All the best!

GEOFF

• Like 1

GEOFF, I guess great minds think alike. lol

I have already gone at it with rubbing compound. It shines up pretty good. I want to keep as much of the original paint as I can. There isn't many trucks,or cars for that matter with 40 year old paint (that look good )in my part of the world.

post-17364-0-74509200-1423445334_thumb.j

I would love to see pics of the Sundance. Does it have the upholstered dash? I would love to see that also!

Here are some more pics for you.

I think this is the Sundance paint scheme ? I always liked these

and

a Sundance ad from 1977 stolen from the internet

post-17364-0-64657900-1423445788_thumb.j

post-17364-0-14356700-1423445812_thumb.j

• Like 1

Keith 

Snowdog,

Thanks for the additional picture and the brochure! Yep that is the sundance for sure and the padded dash is what mine has. Very cool old brochure! Thanks!

WOW, you are making great headway with your paint restoration. I'm no expert, just a farmer sharing his experience. BUT, have you tried the Meguiars ULTIMATE COMPOUND? My hightech son found out about it and it saved us a ton of elbow grease. It somehow cuts thru oxidation without too much rubbing. My son found out that you are supposed to follow that up with Meguiars's ULTIMATE LIQUID WAX. That is what we used with great success on a couple of old rigs. What I like is that it doesn't go too deep into the paint while getting rid of the oxidation. Expensive products but at least they work well.

Looks like your paint has definite potential!!!! Love those old clearance lights that say INTERNATIONAL on them. Got a kick out of that post in your original thread, one that I had never heard before, "a 13 letter, BS spreader" that is funny!!!

Whoever ordered your truck was pretty doggone smart. Remember we were coming out of the gas crisis of 1973, unsure if that hit Canada but it was bad down here. My dad ordered our 75 IH pickup with a 345 instead of 392 with the gas crisis in recent memory. That 345 that I have in my 1600 will pull down to IIRC about 1600 or 1500rpms and HOLD!!!!!!!!!! Torquey little sucker!!!!!!!!! And would use less fuel than the vaunted 392. Like the wheel base on your 1700 too. Would love to know about the original owner. Probably a really savvy farmer!!!

Is 5th gear toward the dash or back close to the seat in your truck? Did you find the original LINE SETTING TICKET? Seems in my 74 it was taped to the quarter panel close to the clutch pedal. Got my 1700 Loadstar line setting ticket from the original dealership. Be interested in what 5 speed you have.

I assume that you are up to speed on using the correct motor oil?? The importance of zinc. Again I am no expert but I have gone to using diesel type oil in all my old Internationals, DELVAC is what I am using. If anyone knows more and if this is a bad decision, please chime in!!!!!! My understanding is that diesel motor oils have the important zinc for these old gas engines. ALSO, I try to use NON ETHANOL gas in my old gas engines. Around here, the gasoline dealer keeps his PREMIUM 92 OCTANE, ethanol FREE. Keep that in mind. If your truck runs fine, just keep running it. Seems to me, my 74, 75 and 76 engines are ok with the ethanol 87 octane but the older ones DEFINITELY prefer the non ethanol 92 octane. See what works for you. Also I am a big believer in STABIL cuz we don't run these old trucks sometimes for a period of time. Carbs are so important to keep happy.

You probably already know all this stuff. Just things I have noticed with my old fleet!! LOL!

Thanks again!

GEOFF

• Like 1

Thanks GEOFF, for the great info! I honestly don't know a lot about my old binder, so any info I can gather from others is great.

To think, I'm getting International info on a Mack forum. What a great place !

My 5th gear is toward the seat.

There is no line setting ticket in the truck anywhere. I was told if I go to a local Navistar dealer, they can get it for me. I'm not counting on it though.

I can imagine the parts guy looking at me like I got two heads, when I ask for it. I am going to try though.

Thanks for the discussion GEOFF. I actually tried to get something going on an International forum.But it didn't go anywhere.

I have discovered so much about my Macks on BMT. I thought I could do the same on an International forum.

Funny thing….I actually tried to post about the handles on an International forum. I figured It would help them. We can buy new Mack handles anywhere, I didn't know how hard it would be to buy an International handle. I thought it would help them. Anyway, I'm not very good on the computer…after about an hour, and almost throwing the computer out into a snow bank, the site wouldn't take my pics. So I figured screw it, only BMT'ers will know.

Keith

• Like 1

Keith 

So I figured screw it, only BMT'ers will know.

And, that is the important point!

My father ran a small group of IH equipment in the late 60's and the line setting ticket was like gold when it came to truck repair. A copy for each truck was on file at the dealer and another set was in the file at his office.

No two Internationals were EVER built the same.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I'm betting back in the day, they used plenty of "Universal" kind of parts. Many manufacturers would buy a typical part from a single supplier. Kinda like those Grote lights on the roof. Same ones on the fender of an A model KW.

I had a '72 1210 series pickup. 2wd, 345/4 spd. All I can say is "it was a tank". Rusty, used up piece of junk, but still a tank. Pass everything but a gas station. Lucky gas was only ..50/gal back then.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"